Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No notification on a subscribed thread (and it's only the 1st post after mine)

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    I was wondering why I did not receive a notification for this message:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1670147#post1670147

which was posted immediately after mine (not a subsequent message which would produce no notification by design).

I see my subscription is set to "instant" for this thread. So do I need to change anything else to get email notifications?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also have this problem. Occasionally, I do not get the email notification that somebody has replied to a thread I am subscribed too. Or maybe not so occasionally, because I'm sure I've missed a bunch. But occasionally I do happen to notice. And I even recheck that I am actually subscribed to the thread.

It happened today with this thread, for example:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=257016

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The My PF main page is useful in keeping track of subscribed threads with replies since you last logged in. I mainly use that otherwise my e-mail box would be clogged.

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks Kurdt, I'll try to get in the habit of using My PF to track new posts in subscribed threads.

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    I'm also not getting any notifications to threads I've replied to (and I'm not subscribed to enough threads that it clogs my inbox). Even after explicit subscription after reply, I don't appear to get the emails.

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your default thread subscription is set to give e-mail notification. You can check this in My PF > edit options.

My PF button is top left and the edit options button is in the menu down the left hand side.

8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    Ironically, I got this notification fine;) My thread subscriptions are still set to give e-mail notifications, so maybe the problem has just fixed itself.

9. Sep 19, 2008 #8
    Thank you Kurdt, that's very usefull ! Should have figured it out myself, but I'm not the most computer-literate person in town :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?