Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How do I supply arpack drivers with all starting vectors?

1. Dec 24, 2016 #1
    I am using arpack (the dsdrv1 driver) to iteratively solve the eigenvalue problem

Ax = λx

I am interested in the first m eigenvectors, and I have very good initial approximations for these vectors, so I would like to use my m starting vectors as an initial guess. However, arpack only seems to allow me to use one starting vector, which is fine if I only want one eigenvector, but doesn't help if I want more than one.

Does anyone know if arpack will let me use my m initial guesses as starting vectors?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Jan 7, 2017 #3
    If I'm reading the material on those pages correctly, the program only needs one guess vector and returns all of the eigenvectors as columns of the matrix V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted