How do I understand notational mathematics?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of cartesian product and the difficulties the speaker was having in understanding and memorizing its formula and definitions. They were advised to read chapters on set theory and logic in a discrete mathematics textbook and were reminded of the importance of definitions in mathematics. The conversation also mentioned the availability of resources for clarification and further questions.
shivajikobardan
I will try to explain what I mean.
I understand how to calculate cartesian product. but I can't write the formula for cartesian product as shown below.
1649844774394.png

Similarly, in other cases
1649844857518.png

I understand what it is trying to say(the inituition) but I really don't understand a word written in it. I feel like this is a huge road block in my journey of learning theoritical computer science mathematics.
I want to get above this barrier. Any guidance you can recommend?

Technology news on Phys.org
Perhaps you need to read chapters on set theory and logic in any discrete mathematics textbook.

The Cartesian product formula uses the set-builder notation.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Perhaps you need to read chapters on set theory and logic in any discrete mathematics textbook.

The Cartesian product formula uses the set-builder notation.
I already studied discrete math and passed with flying colors. We didn't have to write definitions It was based on understanding. I understand how to solve them, the gist, the inituition but can't understand and memorize these definitions.

shivajikobardan said:
We didn't have to write definitions It was based on understanding.
Mathematics starts with definitions, which are followed by theorem statements and their proofs. Without definitions there are no objects to talk about.

In any case, every discrete mathematics textbook has a discussion of notations used in the two pictures you posted. If you have specific questions, you are welcome to ask them here as well.

1. What is notational mathematics?

Notational mathematics is a system of symbols and notation used to represent mathematical concepts and equations.

2. Why is understanding notational mathematics important?

Understanding notational mathematics is important because it allows for clear and concise communication of mathematical ideas and allows for more efficient problem-solving and calculations.

3. How can I improve my understanding of notational mathematics?

To improve your understanding of notational mathematics, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common symbols and notation used in different branches of mathematics. Seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop can also be beneficial.

4. What are some common notational symbols used in mathematics?

Some common notational symbols used in mathematics include numbers, letters, Greek symbols, operators (such as +, -, x, ÷), and mathematical notation (such as exponents, square roots, and fractions).

5. How can I overcome difficulties in understanding notational mathematics?

If you are struggling to understand notational mathematics, it may be helpful to break down complex equations into smaller parts, seek help from a teacher or tutor, and practice regularly. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts before moving on to more complex notation.