1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I write this interesting piecewise function?

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [URL]http://www2.seminolestate.edu/lvosbury/images/VibSpringAnNS.gif[/URL]
    Find the governing differential equation and position functions for a 32 pound object attached to the end of a spring with a spring constant of 1 and a forcing function that yields a constant velocity in the direction of motion. This velocity changes sign periodically. The forcing function is piecewise. The object is pulled down until the spring is stretched to 5 feet below its equilibrium position and then the object is released with an initial velocity of -1 ft/sec and the forcing function produces a constant velocity of -1 ft/sec. After the object has traveled 10 feet it is impeded and reverses direction with an initial velocity at that point of 1 ft/sec. and the forcing function changes to produce a constant velocity of 1 ft/sec. This behavior continues indefinitely.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am interested in only finding the piecewise function.

I drew the graph.
    [URL]http://assets.openstudy.com/updates/attachments/4dfd29cf0b8bbe4f12e6e1ca-joseph20111-1308436975669-piecewise.bmp[/URL]

I think I can use a calculator function such as frac(x) or int(x).

I wrote a piecewise (unfinished) function that I believe can be simplified.
    [URL]http://assets.openstudy.com/updates/attachments/4dfd29cf0b8bbe4f12e6e1ca-joseph20111-1308447921585-pie.bmp[/URL]

-t represents line with negative 1 slope. t represents line with positive 1 slope.
    I wrote (1)^n * t for alternating t.

To write inequalities, 5 + 10n.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your forcing functio is periodic with period 20. The simplest thing to do would be to solve it as two separate problems for -5< t< 5 and then for 5< t< 15.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your piecewise description of your forcing function is not correct. For the period from -5 to 15 your formula would be:

f(x) = x, -5<x<5
    f(x) = 10 - x, 5 < x < 15

You can write this portion of f(x) using the unit step function u(x):

f(x) = x + (10-2x)u(x-5) for -5 < x < 15

and call F(x) the periodic extension of f(x) with period 20. Then you could solve the DE using LaPlace transforms, making use of the expression for the LT of a periodic function.

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4
    f(t) = t, -5<t<5
    f(t) = 10 - t, 5 < t < 15

I think I can find the Laplace transform of this periodic function.

6. Jun 20, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since your piecewise function is actually not defined for t < 0, you should use a formula on (0,20) to take the LaPlace transform. I think it is:

f(t) = t -10u(t-5) - 10u(t-15) on (0,20)

but you can check to be sure.

7. Jun 21, 2011 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

One way of representing this that comes to mind is to use a x arcsin(sin(bx)) for constants a and b. From your drawing let a = A and b = pi/10 and hopefully that should give you what you need.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook