How Do Laplace and Poisson's Equations Derive from Gauss's Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter black_kitty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laplace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
black_kitty
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I must derive Laplace & Poisson's equation from the Gauss law and condition for potentiality of an electrostatic field and I have no idea how to do it!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of Laplace's equation, I suggest that you start off by writing down Gauss' Law in differential form in the absence of any charge. Then write down the equation for the electric field in terms of the electric potential. Then plug the latter into the former.

In the case of Poisson's equation, do the exact same thing but without setting the charge density to zero.