How do momentum, impulse, and GPE factor into solving physics questions?

In summary, momentum is a measurement of an object's motion calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. Impulse is a force acting on an object for a certain amount of time and is equal to the change in momentum. GPE, or Gravitational Potential Energy, is the potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning the initial and final momentums are equal. GPE increases with an object's height in a gravitational field due to its increased distance from the center of the Earth.
ballaholic8
Hey guys I am preparing for a physics contest and I am stuck with on a few questions. they are step by step questions. If someone can clearly explain how how to solve the following questions it would greatly help. Thank you.

Attachments

• contestquestions.jpg
    contestquestions.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've done so far and point out where you are stuck.

this is what I've got so far but I am not sure if its right.

2jf0qdt.jpg

2gx0k6c.jpg

thats what I've figured out so far but i need to verify this.

please help.

Related to How do momentum, impulse, and GPE factor into solving physics questions?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is impulse?

Impulse is a force acting on an object for a certain amount of time. It is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

What is GPE?

GPE stands for Gravitational Potential Energy. It is the potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects involved remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of the system is equal to the final momentum of the system.

How does GPE change with height?

GPE increases as an object's height increases in a gravitational field. This is because the higher an object is, the more potential energy it has due to its increased distance from the center of the Earth.