How Do Principles of Flight Apply in Real-Life Aviation Scenarios?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jasperhoopman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aviation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
jasperhoopman
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I`m a student, and I need to do scientific research in order to answer some questions which have to do with science and math. I then have to write workpiece about it. Since I`m an aviation enthusiast, I've chosen to place my research in the background of aviation. I`ve made a few questions which I have to answer, in order to let the teacher(or other reader) understand the principles of flight. The first question I have to answer is: How does an aircraft stay in the air?. The second is: Which forces are playing a role in the flying proces? The third: Which role plays the wing?

When I answered these questions, I hope that I've made clear what flying exactly is. I will then zoom in on an event which allows me to explain it with the principles of flight. I choose the gimli glider flight, and the question is: What happened here?(to introduce this accident to the readers) and the next question is: How did the pilot brought this bird down safe?(to explain the flying techniques used here with the theory and principles of flight what I discussed in the first part.)

The point now is, that I'm required to do some experiments, which have to bring a better understanding of the theory I discussed. In the part where I explain what flying is, I thought that I could make some use of the Microsoft flight simulator to explain some flying techniques used by the pilot.

My questions to you are:
- What is your opinion of this plan?
- Do you have any recommendations for some experiments which help to explain the theory of flying in a simple, but very usefull way?

Thanks,

Jasper
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Make a paper airplane? That would certainly be simple and it would fly. Overall, it sounds like a good idea. If you're good with computers, you could probably even show a graph illustrating the variation of lift at a given velocity.

Also, if you can you could also solve the problem yourself using bernoulli's equation and assuming an arbitrary surface for the wing.

You could also make a simple paper turbine which would spin if you put it over a candle (using the candle's hot air). I saw this once but I don't know what its called.