How Do Tensions in a Massless, Frictionless Pulley System Compare?

In summary, the tension in each section of rope, T1, T2, and T3, must be equal as the pulleys are massless and frictionless. This is because the pulleys would rotate with infinite angular speed if the tensions were not equal. The mass M is held in place by the applied force F.
theunloved
A mass M in held in place by the applied force F and the pulley system shown below. The pulleys are massless and frictionless. Determine the tension in each section in each section of rope and the applied force F

Taking upwards as positve

-T1 - F = 0

T4 - T1 - T3 = 0

T2 + T3 - T5 = 0

T5 - Mg = 0

Now this is where I confused about the tension
To me, I think T1 = T2 = T3
but again, am not sure, can anyone tell me if it was right or wrong ? so I can go on with my problem. Thank you

Attachments

• FBD5.JPG
    FBD5.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
As the pulleys are massless and frictionless, and T1, T2, T3 are the tensions in the same rope, they must be equal. The massless pulleys would rotate with infinite angular speed otherwise.

ehild

Related to How Do Tensions in a Massless, Frictionless Pulley System Compare?

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a rope or belt wrapped around a wheel. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or strands of a belt. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move the object, making it easier for a person to do the work.

3. What is tension in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system is the force that is applied to the rope or belt. It is the force that allows the system to lift or move an object. The more tension there is, the easier it is to lift the object.

4. How is tension affected by the number of pulleys?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the tension. However, the more pulleys there are, the less force is needed to lift the object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed over more ropes or strands, reducing the tension in each one.

5. Can a pulley system increase mechanical advantage?

Yes, a pulley system can increase mechanical advantage. By using multiple pulleys, the amount of force needed to lift an object is reduced, making the work easier for the person operating the system. This is known as increasing the mechanical advantage of the system.