How Do Wave Interference and Velocity Relate in Real-Life Scenarios?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thatoneguy6531
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interference Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
thatoneguy6531
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A beach comber walking along the top of a sea wall notices that the waves reflecting off of the concrete breaker are creating a pattern of interference with the original incoming waves. A few meters from the breaker the waves are at maximum oscillation with a time between peak and trough of 2.4 seconds. Exactly 3.2m further to sea, there is virtually no vertical change in the water's motion. What is the length and velocity of the waves?


Homework Equations



v=fxlamda

The Attempt at a Solution


So I'm not sure if I'm completely misinterpreting this but I'm thinking it forms a standing wave pattern and the first node is 3.2m away from the antinode so 3.2m x 4 = a wavelength of 12.8m and then v=(4.)(12.8m)(1/4.8)= 2.7m/s
Did I do it right or am I completely off?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds reasonable to me.

The distance between max and min is 3.2m ... separation of consecutive maxima is 6.4m.
Which would represent a path difference of a single wavelength.
 
Oh wait. 2.4 s is the period not the frequency.
 
That makes a difference yes ;)
You only need to relate the period of the standing wave oscillations to the speed and wavelength of the two traveling waves that make it.