How do we know quarks aren't just parts of broken-up protons

In summary, physicists use particle colliders to adjust energy levels and observe the reactions that occur. By analyzing the characteristics of the particles that are produced, such as their decay products and energy levels, they can infer the existence and properties of new particles, such as quarks. This process is complex and involves determining resonance patterns and analyzing decay products. It is not always possible to directly observe these particles, but their existence can be inferred through the reactions that occur.
james gander
Please be esy on me for asking what seems a very silly question but i have only just started reading about this sort of thing very recently. I can only learn by asking so please bear with me. thanks

My question is, how do we know when we have found a new particle, for example when physicists used a colider to smash protons how do we know the pieces are not just pieces of broken protons, how do we know we had found the different quarks?

please be give an answer in laymans terms, i don't work in science i am just an enthusiast. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

It's not really possible to give a "layman's terms" answer because the situation involves technical aspects. It's like asking to explain parking a car without referring to the motion of a car.

But here goes.

The basic idea of particle colliders is to adjust the energy and see what comes out. At a really simple level, as you slowly increase the energy you get more kinds of interactions.

Think about colliding two protons just for example. They will have an energy available due to their kinetic energy. The mass of an electron is a certain amount. When the energy available in colliding two electrons becomes greater than twice this mass (refer to relativity and equivalence of mass and energy) then the collision can spit out an electron and a positron. And you can see these fly away. When that happens you see the chance of a reaction increase strongly. This chance is expressed as a cross section (an area) and the cross section is a function of energy. When you reach twice the mass of an electron you see a sharp increase in cross section. This is usually called a resonance.

The same happens when you get enough energy to create a proton-anti-proton pair. Or a neutron-anti-neutron pair.

Now the complicated bits. When you get enough energy to produce a quark-anti-quark pair, you can make such a pair. And you see another resonance. And this pair comes out as an unstable particle. You can infer the characteristics of this particle by what it decays into, and how long that takes. You scan energy, see the increased reaction cross section, collect the decay products, and infer what decayed. And you scan up in energy and infer that there are six quarks with particular symmetries.

Now it's a very complicated business because there are quite a few combinations of quarks, in a variety of energy states, that can be produced. And they can decay into a variety of end products. And the inferring of characteristics from those decay products is pretty complicated.

So, fundamentally, it's banging things together to see what parts come out. And inferring the structure from the characteristics of those parts.

Likes james gander
Can you explain what you mean by broken up proton pieces?

DEvens said:
Welcome to the forum.

It's not really possible to give a "layman's terms" answer because the situation involves technical aspects. It's like asking to explain parking a car without referring to the motion of a car.

But here goes.

The basic idea of particle colliders is to adjust the energy and see what comes out. At a really simple level, as you slowly increase the energy you get more kinds of interactions.

Think about colliding two protons just for example. They will have an energy available due to their kinetic energy. The mass of an electron is a certain amount. When the energy available in colliding two electrons becomes greater than twice this mass (refer to relativity and equivalence of mass and energy) then the collision can spit out an electron and a positron. And you can see these fly away. When that happens you see the chance of a reaction increase strongly. This chance is expressed as a cross section (an area) and the cross section is a function of energy. When you reach twice the mass of an electron you see a sharp increase in cross section. This is usually called a resonance.

The same happens when you get enough energy to create a proton-anti-proton pair. Or a neutron-anti-neutron pair.

Now the complicated bits. When you get enough energy to produce a quark-anti-quark pair, you can make such a pair. And you see another resonance. And this pair comes out as an unstable particle. You can infer the characteristics of this particle by what it decays into, and how long that takes. You scan energy, see the increased reaction cross section, collect the decay products, and infer what decayed. And you scan up in energy and infer that there are six quarks with particular symmetries.

Now it's a very complicated business because there are quite a few combinations of quarks, in a variety of energy states, that can be produced. And they can decay into a variety of end products. And the inferring of characteristics from those decay products is pretty complicated.

So, fundamentally, it's banging things together to see what parts come out. And inferring the structure from the characteristics of those parts.

I think i shall read some more as i undertsand some of what you are saying but not entirely. thankyou, i will work this out after reading it again after i have learned a bit more. nice one.

ChrisVer said:
Can you explain what you mean by broken up pieces?
What i mean by broken up pieces is how do we know quarks are an actual new particle and not just three pieces of a smashed up proton. If i throw glass (imagine glass is one single particle) and it breaks into three pieces, i still have parts of glass not a new material.

So if i smash a proton how do i know I've found a new thing and not just broken that proton into three pieces?

OK then, it goes under @DEvens answer.
In many cases you don't even observe those particles, but instead you observe their decay products...
Their products will show you those particles masses after you measure their momenta and identify them.

Last edited:
Likes james gander
james gander said:
If i throw glass (imagine glass is one single particle) and it breaks into three pieces, i still have parts of glass not a new material.

When you take different identical glasses and break them, they shatter into different collections of pieces, with different numbers, shapes and sizes.

When you take different protons and "break" them, they "shatter" in a limited number of ways which correspond to rearrangements of a small number of internal components with a limited set of properties. All up quarks have the same fundamental properties, as do all down quarks, and there are always two up quarks and one down. Any "new" quarks produced in a process can be traced to new quark-antiquark pairs produced out of the energy which was used to smash the original protons together.

Likes Imager and james gander
james gander said:
What i mean by broken up pieces is how do we know quarks are an actual new particle and not just three pieces of a smashed up proton. If i throw glass (imagine glass is one single particle) and it breaks into three pieces, i still have parts of glass not a new material.

So if i smash a proton how do i know I've found a new thing and not just broken that proton into three pieces?

Take another but similar way of thinking than yours. Take a house and break it up. You get stones. The stone alone and the house alone don't have the same properties. In some way each stone is effectively a part of the house but it is not like a house. It's the same with people. Each of us has a character, an identity. But all together we built communities that do not obligatorily reflect our personal opinion and way to be.

I think the whole point is that if something is the end of the line, it can't be broken. If it can be broken, it must be made of something that can be split. The goal is to get to something that can't be broken, then you know you are at the basic building blocks. So, whatever you can break a proton into, it isn't a proton anymore so it needs a name. It turns out there aren't many things they can break into, so it's easy to name them. If there were lots of possibilities (like the house example) it would be harder to name them meaningfully.

meBigGuy said:
I think the whole point is that if something is the end of the line, it can't be broken. If it can be broken, it must be made of something that can be split. The goal is to get to something that can't be broken, then you know you are at the basic building blocks. So, whatever you can break a proton into, it isn't a proton anymore so it needs a name. It turns out there aren't many things they can break into, so it's easy to name them. If there were lots of possibilities (like the house example) it would be harder to name them meaningfully.

Simple analogy, say i have a piece of plastic and break it i still just have pieces of plastic not anything new. So i was asking can the same be said for quarks? Or do quarks have completely different properties then a broken proton?

I am very new to this, it is just an interest i have got into since reading about the universe on the larger scale. Now the small stuff is just as interesting to me.

So go easy on me ladies/gents.

Thanks

Quarks have completely different properties than protons, so they aren't just "small protons".

The fact that you can break up plastic means it is made of smaller things (molecules). Molecules can be broken up so they must be smaller things (atoms). Atoms ... etc etc. Where does it stop? Particle physics searches for the answer. If you can split it, it's not a base component.

Likes james gander

1. How do we know that quarks exist?

Quarks were first proposed by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig in the 1960s to explain the structure of hadrons. Through experiments, such as deep inelastic scattering, scientists have been able to observe the presence and behavior of quarks, providing strong evidence for their existence.

2. What evidence do we have that quarks are not just parts of broken-up protons?

Quarks are fundamental particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components. Additionally, experiments have shown that quarks have fractional electric charges, indicating that they are not made up of smaller particles. Furthermore, the properties and interactions of quarks are well-defined and consistent, supporting the idea that they are not just parts of larger particles.

3. Could quarks be made up of even smaller particles?

At this point, there is no evidence to suggest that quarks are composed of smaller particles. The Standard Model of particle physics, which has been extensively tested and validated, considers quarks to be fundamental particles. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose that quarks may be composed of smaller, vibrating strings, but this has not been proven.

4. How do we know that quarks are not just theoretical constructs?

Quarks have been observed in experiments, providing tangible evidence for their existence. Additionally, the Standard Model of particle physics, which includes quarks as fundamental particles, has been incredibly successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles in the subatomic world. The existence of quarks is essential to this model, further supporting their validity.

5. Can we directly observe individual quarks?

No, individual quarks cannot be directly observed due to a phenomenon called confinement. Quarks are always found in bound states, either in groups of two or three, and cannot exist in isolation. However, scientists have been able to indirectly observe the properties and behavior of quarks through experiments and particle accelerators.