How do we post an avatar (or is that paid thing)

• Thread starter merlinsbyte
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to post an avatar on a site and whether or not it is a paid option. It is mentioned that the avatar option is only available to staff members, homework helpers, science advisors, and contributors. The cost of offering this feature is also brought up, with the site owner needing to make a profit or break even. Some members express disappointment in not being able to have avatars, while others understand the reasoning behind it.
merlinsbyte
how do we post an avatar (or is that paid thing)

Hi I am merlinsbyte and usually post in the religious philosophical sites, anyway how does a lowly unpaid member post an avatar?

; {>

Physics news on Phys.org
Click "My PF" on the top left corner, then "Edit Avatar"

As you guessed, in order to have an avatar you must become a contributor.

You mean it isn't free? Only free for PF staff? I didn't know that.

The avatar option is available only to staff, Homework Helper, Science Advisor, and Contributor.

Zz.

Oh well, I post at eight other sites, two hard science sites & six general sites all have avatars, and they are free. Is there a reason the admin doesn't make this an option?

Its not a big thing, I'm just furious..er'... curious

Oh wait I just seen Crisco's reply sorry...no one can blame the admin or site owner wanting to make a buck or break even. I am a non profit owner so I know about being broke...

; }>

I may contribute later, of the eight sites I only donate to two of them.

Defennder said:
You mean it isn't free? Only free for PF staff? I didn't know that.
Nice avatar Defennder!

Thanks Evo. It's a picture of a stray dog which I took personally. It has disappeared since.

merlinsbyte said:
Oh well, I post at eight other sites, two hard science sites & six general sites all have avatars, and they are free. Is there a reason the admin doesn't make this an option?

It's the cost. How many of those other sites support LaTeX? How many of them have signed up over 100,000 members? How many host over 1.6 million posts?

1. How do I post an avatar on a website?

To post an avatar on a website, you will first need to create or choose an image that you want to use as your avatar. Then, you will need to go to the settings or profile section of the website and look for an option to upload or change your avatar. Follow the prompts to upload your chosen image and save your changes.

2. Can I use any image as my avatar?

Most websites have guidelines for avatars, so it is important to check their terms of service or community guidelines before using any image as your avatar. Generally, it is recommended to use a profile picture that is appropriate, not offensive, and does not violate any copyright laws.

3. Do I have to pay to post an avatar?

In most cases, posting an avatar on a website is free. However, some websites may offer premium or upgraded features that include the ability to customize your avatar for a fee. Make sure to check the website's pricing and subscription options before making any purchases.

4. How do I change my avatar on different platforms?

The process of changing your avatar may vary depending on the platform or website you are using. Generally, you will need to go to your profile or account settings and look for an option to change your avatar. If you are using multiple platforms, you may need to change your avatar separately on each one.

5. Can I use my own custom image as my avatar?

Yes, many websites allow users to upload their own custom images as avatars. Just make sure to follow the guidelines and size restrictions for avatars on the particular website you are using. It is also recommended to use a high-quality image that represents you or your brand well.