How do you arrange your work day?

• Thread starter AntonSatek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a researcher's interest in scholars' experience with planning, note taking, and document creation. The researcher clarifies that they are conducting human subjects research and is interested in the experience of all levels of educators, not just during the pandemic. There is also a mention of potential issues with IRB approval.
AntonSatek
Please, comment on how you usually take notes, plan your work day, what software you use for that.

Attachments

• elephant (1).jpg
    elephant (1).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 228
Science news on Phys.org
For teaching, I assume? What level... high school, university...?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
AntonSatek said:
Please, comment on how you usually take notes, plan your work day, what software you use for that.
Do you mean before the pandemic? Or during, or after the pandemic?

Have you read the threads in this Educators forum on adaptations to teaching during the pandemic? They should give you some good ideas, depending on what your question is focused on.

1587739924884.png

Likes PeroK
AntonSatek said:

this does not sound like it is a question related to educators. Could it be another misdirected post in the wrong forum, which appears to be a common occurrence here?

Zz.

Actually, I'm conducting a research on scholars' experience in planning, taking notes, drawing up documents (what techniques and tools they use). Not sure if it's off topic, but I'm interested in all level educators' experience (not depending on the pandemic). Thank you for your interest and comments!

AntonSatek said:
Actually, I'm conducting a research on scholars' experience in planning, taking notes, drawing up documents (what techniques and tools they use). Not sure if it's off topic, but I'm interested in all level educators' experience (not depending on the pandemic). Thank you for your interest and comments!

scholars as in STUDENTS, no?

Zz.

I start with being lazy.

So you're doing human subjects research without telling them that initially? And your IRB was okay with that?

Last edited:
As @Vanadium 50 has by his question hinted at, the approval of the Institutional Review Board must in almost all cases be obtained prior to conduction of any experiments on any human beings -- if your plan includes keeping the human beings in the dark about it when they are being subjected to the experiment, that probably won't fly past IRB pre-approval.

1. How do you prioritize your tasks for the day?

As a scientist, my work day can vary greatly depending on the experiments and projects I am working on. However, I always start by creating a to-do list of all the tasks that need to be completed for the day and then prioritize them based on urgency and importance. This helps me stay organized and focused on the most critical tasks.

2. Do you have a specific schedule for your work day?

Yes, I have a general schedule that I follow every day. I start my day by checking and responding to emails, then I move on to any urgent or time-sensitive experiments or tasks. After that, I dedicate a block of time for data analysis and writing up results. Finally, I end my day by planning and preparing for the next day's tasks.

3. How do you handle interruptions or unexpected tasks during your work day?

Interruptions and unexpected tasks are a common part of being a scientist. I always try to be flexible and adapt my schedule accordingly. If the task is urgent, I will prioritize it and try to fit it into my schedule. If it is not urgent, I will add it to my to-do list for the next day.

4. Do you take breaks during your work day?

Yes, taking breaks is essential for maintaining productivity and avoiding burnout. I usually take short breaks throughout the day to stretch, grab a snack, or take a short walk. I also make sure to take a longer break for lunch to recharge and refocus for the rest of the day.

5. How do you avoid procrastination and stay motivated throughout the day?

Procrastination can be a challenge, but I have found that setting small, achievable goals for each task helps keep me motivated. I also make sure to take breaks and switch tasks if I find myself losing focus. Additionally, having a clear understanding of the importance and impact of my work helps me stay motivated and on track.