Rant about working in the tutoring lab: How should I deal with this?
- Thread starter PhDeezNutz
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
81 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
hutchphd said:Only God herself has no boss. Everyone else is under the wheel somehow. Try to figure the political landscape.
Part of that landscape is that if I don’t get paid once a month at the very least I can sue them :)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
You've obviously never dealt with a university president.hutchphd said:Only God herself has no boss.
The difference, of course, is that God doesn't think he's a university president.
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
cooler heads prevail. Luckily I’m not starving and I have money saved up. And eventually they will pay me (they have to). It’s just a matter of principle.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
Have you thought about moving on?
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
BillTre said:Its good to get all worked up about somethings.
But persevering too long on something is not good.
Some situations have no good solutions.
Maybe you need a new job.
Make a decision on a course of action and move on.
It seems so. I applied for the vacant supervisor role and my interview is next Tuesday via online Teams but even that may be a bad idea given the incompetence of “top brass”.
I’ll need to spend time beefing up my machine learning and programming skills. Through studying the mathematical background and doing programming projects in order to break into tech.
Luckily I have the financial means to sustain myself in the long run. (Rich parents) but I don’t want to use that card……but I might have to in order to make headway into a real career.
Edit: I meant to quote @Frabjous post too but for some reason it didn’t work. This is also a response to that post.
Edit: it’s also via teams because said top brass work from home……
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
What exactly is your current status and what are your career aspirations?
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
Frabjous said:What exactly is your current status and what are your career aspirations?
Have a masters in physics was not able to secure a job as a programmer or data scientist so I took this tutoring job.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
What are your career aspirations?PhDeezNutz said:Have a masters in physics was not able to secure a job as a programmer or data scientist so I took this tutoring job.
Have you made any progress on them while on the tutoring job?
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
Frabjous said:What are your career aspirations?
Have you made any progress on them while on the tutoring job?
Don’t really know. I thought I would have climbed the ladder in my current role but apparently that’s just a dead end.
I need to take time to think about it.
At the very least I plan to go through this book from cover to cover.
https://mml-book.github.io/book/mml-book.pdf
Mathematics for Machine Learning
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
PhDeezNutz said:Don’t really know. I thought I would have climbed the ladder in my current role but apparently that’s just a dead end.
I need to take time to think about it.
At the very least I plan to go through this book from cover to cover.
https://mml-book.github.io/book/mml-book.pdf
Mathematics for Machine Learning
You have an interview coming up. It is not clear that it is a dead end. You are dismissive about doing it on Teams, but it might be policy to treat all applicants the same.
I am not sure that learning the mathematics of machine learning on your own will make you hireable.
Some questions to ask yourself.
Where do you want to be in n years? Where do you need to be in 1 year to be on that path? What do you need to do today in order to get there?
Good luck.
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
Frabjous said:You have an interview coming up. It is not clear that it is a dead end. You are dismissive about doing it on Teams, but it might be policy to treat all applicants the same.
I am not sure that learning the mathematics of machine learning on your own will make you hireable.
Some questions to ask yourself.
Where do you want to be in n years? Where do you need to be in 1 year to be on that path? What do you need to do today in order to get there?
Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. These are important questions to ask and I have not really taken the time to answer them. I’ll have to do some soul searching and “land surveying” before I can come up with answers. No time to start like the present.
In addition to learning the mathematics I will be posting projects on GitHub. A portfolio of sorts would probably help.
Also gonna learn more about data structures and tackle the “Blind 75”.
Thanks again.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Isn't there an ombudsman or similar in your school you can speak with? Or, can't you simultaneously find a job outside the lab? Your setup is not likely to change over the middle run, let alone the short run.PhDeezNutz said:cooler heads prevail. Luckily I’m not starving and I have money saved up. And eventually they will pay me (they have to). It’s just a matter of principle.
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
There is certainly a complaint department I can go to but I don’t want to use that card and burn those bridges until I absolutely have to. (I’m trying to move up the chain to a salaried position).WWGD said:Isn't there an ombudsman or similar in your school you can speak with? Or, can't you simultaneously find a job outside the lab? Your setup is not likely to change over the middle run, let alone the short run.
If I have to I can find a job outside the lab. But before that I’m going to apply for the vacant job of supervisor. My first interview is Tuesday.
If I get the job I will be happy and I’ll have a salary as opposed to hours that have to be approved.
With that said, many posters in this thread have shown me the truth: I need to be building up skills in the meantime and be ready for a way out. Like you and many others have said management seems completely lost and the situation is not likely to improve.
Just got to bite my tongue in the meantime.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 6,962
- 6,042
With whom will you interview? Try to make a friend and ally. You don't really want the job unless there are some reasonable people in the organization with whom to partner.. So be relentlessly affirmative but do not hide your hopes and plans for improvement. Positive.......Good Luck.
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
hutchphd said:With whom will you interview? Try to make a friend and ally. You don't really want the job unless there are some reasonable people in the organization with whom to partner.. So be relentlessly affirmative but do not hide your hopes and plans for improvement. Positive.......Good Luck.
Same person who presumably approves my hours now. I sent her an email about it (that wasn’t accusatory). Hopefully she responds Monday (my interview is Tuesday).
No I really don’t want this job but it will sustain me in the meantime as I work on an exit plan. But maybe I’ll be able to change things by acting diplomatically. Ultimately I care about the students and the changes as of late make me wonder if higher ups share the same sentiment as I do, and even if they do, are they even aware of student needs? The people who I did get along with and look up to left.
PhDeezNutz
- 858
- 568
So update…..I’m a little bit calmer now. She told me that the system (for approving time) crashed Friday and they were all instructed to wait until Monday. This has never happened before…..but it’s not totally surprising that it could happen. After all it’s a large infrastructure.
I guess I let my mind go to the darkest place and assume the worst because of largely pre-conceived notions.
Edit: regardless I’m going to continue studying that mathematics behind machine learning along with learning about data structures and algorithms. If for no other reason than personal growth.
I guess I let my mind go to the darkest place and assume the worst because of largely pre-conceived notions.
Edit: regardless I’m going to continue studying that mathematics behind machine learning along with learning about data structures and algorithms. If for no other reason than personal growth.
MidgetDwarf
- 1,630
- 735
Have you tried teaching at one of cc? Although pay can vary, and be on the low side for first time timers. Maybe teaching will make you happier in the short term? there's los helping students with GED,at least in California, the cc pay about $70 bucks an hour. Enough free time to work on what ever skills you want to learn...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 6,962
- 6,042
And it never hurts to repeat the one truth in all of this $$The~only~behavior~I ~can~control~is ~ my ~own$$ Sometimes difficult to really believe this.PhDeezNutz said:I guess I let my mind go to the darkest place and assume the worst because of largely pre-conceived notions.
Similar threads
- leo.
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 2
- bsdz
- · Replies 4 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 4
- m4rkz0r
- · Replies 7 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 7