How Do You Calculate Momentum and Kinetic Energy in a Two-Car Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nofinga911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Collision
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
nofinga911
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 1,000 kg car traveling East at 20 m/sec collides with a 2000kg car traveling East at 5m/sec. They stcik together on impact.
Find - P(initial)
Find-Final Velocity
Find- Change in KE



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have no idea how to do this, can someone help me and show the formulas as well so I can learn it? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with
momentum before = momentum after

Write an mv for each moving object, before and after.
 
Delphi51 said:
Start with
momentum before = momentum after

Write an mv for each moving object, before and after.

Do you know how to solve the problem? It would help a lot if I saw it done. I am pressed for time and have 3 exams tomorrow and this is one question i was not sure of for my physics exam.
 
It would not make sense for me to just do your homework for you.
There must be examples of a collision problem in your notes, your textbook and of course on the web. Or we can just plug along with it here, with you doing some of the work.

Start with
momentum before = momentum after
mv + mv = mv
Put in some numbers?
 
Delphi51 said:
It would not make sense for me to just do your homework for you.
There must be examples of a collision problem in your notes, your textbook and of course on the web. Or we can just plug along with it here, with you doing some of the work.

Start with
momentum before = momentum after
mv + mv = mv
Put in some numbers?

I don't think it was very nice that you wouldn't actually solve the problem for me. The professor did not teach it, there are no similar problems or formulas in the textbook and its not hw. The test was today and I had to pretty much leave that one unfinished. Anyway I would still like to learn it. Oh yea and I searched the web for about 45min and couldn't find anything.


1000kgx20m/s + 2000kgx5m/s = 20000kg/m/s + 10000kg/m/s= 30,000
Is that correct so far?
What would the units be for the outcome?
What next?
 
Dont start moaning that people won't do you work for you. We're here to help not spoon feed you.

1. Why did you learn this so late.
2. Why was it on the test if you've not learned it and
3. If its not homework, why post it in the homework section.

Now onwards.
You are ok so far. You want to find the final velocity.

mv (car1)+mv (car2) = mv of crash.

So: you know know the mv after the crash and the mass of the object (sum of mass of cars). Then you can find v.

Use this to then find k.e.