How Do You Calculate Momentum and Kinetic Energy of a Moving Truck?

• Thread starter ChessFanatic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the 2000 kg truck has an initial momentum of 60,000 kg x m/s and a final momentum of 0 kg x m/s after hitting a haystack and stopping in 80m. Its initial kinetic energy is 900,000 kg m2/s2 and its final kinetic energy is 0 kg m2/s2, assuming a final velocity of 0 m/s. The equations used to calculate momentum and kinetic energy are m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f and (1/2)m1v1i2 + (1/2)m2v2i2 = (1/2)m1v1f2 +
ChessFanatic

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg truck is moving at a speed of 30 m/s. It hits a haystack and stops in 80m.
1a. What is the original momentum of the truck?
1b. What is the final momentum of the truck?
2a. What is the original kinetic energy of the truck?
2b. What is the final kinetic energy of the truck?

I'm not sure how to do these, and I've started some, but stuck on the last two. Also, am I correct in assuming final velocity to be 0 m/s?

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
(1/2)m1v1i2 + (1/2)m2v2i2 = (1/2)m1v1f2 + (1/2)m2v2f2
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

1a. P=mv
P=(2000 kg)(30m/s)= 60,000 kg x m/s

1b. P=mv
P=(2000kg)(0 m/s) = 0 kg x m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
ChessFanatic said:

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg truck is moving at a speed of 30 m/s. It hits a haystack and stops in 80m.
1a. What is the original momentum of the truck?
1b. What is the final momentum of the truck?
2a. What is the original kinetic energy of the truck?
2b. What is the final kinetic energy of the truck?

I'm not sure how to do these, and I've started some, but stuck on the last two. Also, am I correct in assuming final velocity to be 0 m/s?

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
(1/2)m1v1i2 + (1/2)m2v2i2 = (1/2)m1v1f2 + (1/2)m2v2f2
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

1a. P=mv
P=(2000 kg)(30m/s)= 60,000 kg x m/s

1b. P=mv
P=(2000kg)(0 m/s) = 0 kg x m/s
You have done 1a & 1b correctly.

Do you know how to calculate kinetic energy?

The initial kinetic energy of the truck is 900,000 kg x m/s? that seems wrong.. but the final should be 0, since final velocity would be 0 m/s.

ChessFanatic said:
The initial kinetic energy of the truck is 900,000 kg x m/s? that seems wrong.. but the final should be 0, since final velocity would be 0 m/s.
kg x m/s is wrong certainly. The number is right if you meant kg m2/s2 (better known as Joules). Why did it seem wrong?

2a. KE=(1/2)mv2
KE=(1/2)(2000 kg)(30m/s)2 = 900,000 joules

2b. KE=(1/2)mv2
KE=(1/2)(2000 kg)(0 m/s)2 = 0 joules

You are correct in assuming that the final velocity of the truck is 0 m/s after hitting the haystack and coming to a stop. This is because the problem states that the truck "stops" in 80m, implying that it comes to a complete stop.

Your solutions for 1a and 1b are correct. For 2a and 2b, you have correctly used the equation for kinetic energy, but you need to use the final velocity (0 m/s) instead of the initial velocity (30 m/s). Therefore, the correct solutions for 2a and 2b are:

2a. KE=(1/2)mv2
KE=(1/2)(2000 kg)(30 m/s)2 = 900,000 joules

2b. KE=(1/2)mv2
KE=(1/2)(2000 kg)(0 m/s)2 = 0 joules

You could also use the equation for work (W=F*d) to calculate the kinetic energy in this scenario. Since the truck comes to a complete stop, the work done by the friction force is equal to the initial kinetic energy of the truck. Therefore, the solutions for 2a and 2b can also be written as:

2a. KE = W = F*d = (2000 kg)(30 m/s)(80 m) = 480,000 joules

2b. KE = W = F*d = (2000 kg)(0 m/s)(80 m) = 0 joules

Overall, your solutions are correct and show a good understanding of the concepts of momentum and kinetic energy. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Calculate Momentum and Kinetic Energy of a Moving Truck?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, or how much "oomph" it has. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum also takes into account the object's mass.

3. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. In collisions between two objects, the total momentum of both objects before the collision must be equal to the total momentum of both objects after the collision.

5. How can momentum be used to solve problems?

Momentum can be used to solve problems involving collisions, explosions, and other interactions between objects. By applying the law of conservation of momentum, the initial and final momentums of the objects can be calculated, allowing for the determination of their velocities and masses.