How Do You Calculate Potential Difference in Car Battery Circuits?

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with their homework on electric circuits. They have answered some questions but need help with others. The questions involve calculating potential difference, current, power, charge, and energy in different scenarios involving car batteries, light bulbs, and hairdryers. The expert summarizes the questions and provides the correct calculations for each scenario. They also note that some of the questions are unusual or strange.
plaly
hi, i got this hwk today and I've answered the questions i can do, can you check the answers i have done, and also help me with the ones i can't do.
thank you so much!
x

1. A car battery can supply 6 000 000 J to a car headlamp while delivering 500 000 C of charge through the headlamp. Calculate the potential difference across the headlamp.
PD (V) = Energy Supplied / Charge that flows
= 600 0000J / 500 000 C
= 12V

2. A car battery supplies a power of 60W to a car headlamp using a current of 5.0 A. Calculate the potential difference across the headlamp.
PD (V) = Power Supplied / Current
= 60 W / 5.0 A
= 120 V

3. If questions 1 and 2 apply to the same battery, under the same conditions of use, for how long was the battery in use?

4. A 120 W bulb for a projector could be manufactured so that it either operates on 240 V mains or on a 20 V transformer. How much current would be supplied by each supply?.
240 V mains current supplied -> 120 W / 240 V = 0.5 A
20 V transformer supplied -> 120 W / 20 V = 6 A

5a) A 4600 W electric motor is to operate from a 230 V mains supply. What current will be required?
Power / P.D = Current -> 4600 W / 230 V = 20 A

b) Why might more than this current be needed in practice to obtain this output power?

6. A current of 3.2 mA passes through a circuit component for 300 s. The PD across the component is 12 V. How much energy is supplied to the component?
Charge = Current x Time
= 0.0032 x 300
= 0.96 C
PD x Charge = Energy -> 12 x 0.96 = 11.52 W

7. During one use of a hairdrier the following quantities are measured. Determine the unknown quantities. Measured quanitites: PD = 240 V, power = 1200 W, time = 600 s. Unknown quantities: current, charge, energy.
Current = Power supplied / PD = 1200 W / 240 V = 5A
Charge = Current x Time = 5 A x 600 s = 3000 C
Energy = Power x Time = 1200 W x 600 s = 720000 W

b) Why might more than this current be needed in practice to obtain this output power?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In question 2, you seem to have misplaced a decimal point.

You seem to be generally doing things correctly, but some of these are rather strange questions.

In practice, the actual current required may be slightly higher due to factors such as resistance in the circuit and energy losses. This means that the actual current needed to obtain the desired output power may be slightly higher than the calculated value. Additionally, the power rating of the hair dryer may not be completely accurate, leading to a slightly higher current needed to achieve the desired output power.

Related to How Do You Calculate Potential Difference in Car Battery Circuits?

1. How long does a car battery usually last?

The lifespan of a car battery can vary depending on factors such as climate, driving habits, and maintenance. On average, a car battery can last between 3-5 years. However, it is recommended to have your battery checked every year after it reaches the 3-year mark.

2. How do I know if my car battery needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that indicate your car battery may need to be replaced. These include slow engine cranking, dim headlights, a clicking sound when starting the car, and a battery warning light on the dashboard. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is best to have your battery tested by a professional.

3. Can I jumpstart my car with a different type of battery?

No, it is not recommended to jumpstart your car with a different type of battery, such as a boat or lawnmower battery. Different types of batteries have different voltages and can cause damage to your car's electrical system. It is best to use a car battery charger or call for roadside assistance.

4. How do I properly dispose of a car battery?

Car batteries should be disposed of properly to avoid harm to the environment. Most auto parts stores and battery retailers will accept old car batteries for recycling. You can also check with your local waste management facility for proper disposal options.

5. Can I recharge a dead car battery?

Yes, you can recharge a dead car battery using a car battery charger. However, it is important to note that constantly recharging a battery can decrease its lifespan. If your car battery is consistently dying, it may be time to replace it.