How Do You Calculate Principal Stresses and Orientations in a 2D Stress State?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Complex Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
0 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Messages
6,221
Reaction score
31

Homework Statement



In an element of material, subjected to general two-dimensional stress one axial stress is 66N/mm2 (tensile) and the shear stress is 48N/mm2. Calculate the values and directions of the principal stresses and the normal and shear stresses on planes equally inclined to the axes if the other axial stress of 22N/mm2 is a) tensile and b)compressive.

Homework Equations



[tex]\sigma_n=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x+\sigma_y)+\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)cos2\theta+\tau_{xy}sin2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\tau_n= \frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)sin 2\theta-\tau_{xy}cos2\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Well I used the fact that the principal stresses are given by

[tex]\sigma_1,\sigma_2=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x+\sigma_y) \pm \sqrt{(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)^2+4\tau_{xy}^2[/tex]

and got the values to be 96.8 N/mm2 and -8.80N/mm2

Then I used the fact that

[tex]tan2\theta=\frac{2\tau_{xy}}{\sigma_x-\sigma_y}[/tex]

and got [itex]\theta=32.69[/itex]. That part I got out, but I don't know how to get the normal and shear stresses on planes equally inclined to the axes.

I am not sure about what the question means by equally inclinded to the axes.

EDIT:solved.
 
Last edited: