How Do You Calculate θ for Polarized Light Intensity Reduction to I0/4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jraek1987
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
jraek1987
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An unpolarized beam of light has intensity Io. It is incident on two ideal polarizing sheets. The angle between the axes of polarization of these sheets is θ. Find θ if the emerging light has intensity Io/4.

Homework Equations


I = (1/2)Io

I = Io*cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution


If I = Io/4 then the second equation becomes:

Io/4 = Io*cos^2θ

Solving for θ gives:

(Io/4) = Io*cos^2θ
*1/Io {both sides}

1/4 = cos^2θ

√(1/4) = √(cos^2(θ))

1/2 = cosθ
*1/cos {both sides}

cos^-1(1/2) = θ

**The book gives the answer of cos^-1(1/√2) = θ

Not sure what I did wrong..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jraek1987,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

jraek1987 said:

Homework Statement


An unpolarized beam of light has intensity Io. It is incident on two ideal polarizing sheets. The angle between the axes of polarization of these sheets is θ. Find θ if the emerging light has intensity Io/4.

Homework Equations


I = (1/2)Io

I = Io*cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution


If I = Io/4 then the second equation becomes:

Io/4 = Io*cos^2θ

Solving for θ gives:

(Io/4) = Io*cos^2θ
*1/Io {both sides}

1/4 = cos^2θ

√(1/4) = √(cos^2(θ))

1/2 = cosθ
*1/cos {both sides}

cos^-1(1/2) = θ

**The book gives the answer of cos^-1(1/√2) = θ

Not sure what I did wrong..
I0/4 is the intensity after the light passes through the second polarizer. I0 is the inensity of the light before it passes through the first polarizer.

You've neglected to take into account the intensity change caused by the first polarizer. (i.e. what is the intensity of the light in between the polarizers?)

(Hint: remember, the initial light I0 is unpolarized. :wink:)