How Do You Calculate the Average Rotational Speed of a CD in Radians per Second?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
crybllrd
Messages
120
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If a CD makes 1500 revolutions in 5 minutes, what is the CD's average rotational speed (in units of rad/s)

Homework Equations



[tex]\omega = \frac{\Delta\theta}{\Delta t}[/tex]

-or-

[tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



This problem seems a little too simple (and I didn't use the given equation), so I want to make sure I did it right:

[tex](5min)(60s/min)=300 seconds in 5 minutes[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1500rev}{300s}=5rev/s[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
crybllrd said:

The Attempt at a Solution



This problem seems a little too simple (and I didn't use the given equation), so I want to make sure I did it right:

[tex](5min)(60s/min)=300 seconds in 5 minutes[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1500rev}{300s}=5rev/s[/tex]

You didn't answer the question; how many radians are there in one revolution?
 
tvavanasd said:
...how many radians are there in one revolution?

[tex]\frac{300s}{1500rev}=.2s/rev[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2\pi}{.2}=31.4rad[/tex]