1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion (Neutron Star)

1. Nov 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing a question from a past paper, preparing for an upcoming exam. There is no solutions so I was wondering if my answer is correct for all parts.

Take a star to be a uniform sphere with mass [tex]M_{i}=3.0 \times 10^{30} Kg[/tex] and radius [tex]R_{i} = 7.0 \times 10^{8}m[/tex] that rotates with a period of 27.0 days.

(i) What's the star's angular speed of rotation?
    (ii) What's the star's angular momentum?
    (iii) At the end of it's lifetime, the star collapses to form a very compact star called a neutron star. If the star retains all it's mass when it collapses and the angular speed of the rotation of the neutron star that forms is [tex]\omega _{f} = 10^{4} rad/s[/tex]. what is the radius of the neutron star in kilometres?
    (iv) If the neutron star's period of rotation is observed to be increasing at a rate of [tex]1.2 \times 10^{-5}s/yr[/tex], what is the torque acting on the star?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (i) [tex]27 days = 2332800 s[/tex]. The star rotates 360 degrees in 27 days. [tex] \omega = \frac{\frac{360}{2\pi}}{T} = 2.46 \times 10^{-5} rad/s [/tex]

(ii) [tex] \begin{align} L & =I \omega \\
    & = \frac{2}{5} M_{i}R_{i}^{2} \omega \\
    & = \frac{2}{5}(3 \times 10^{30})(7 \times 10^{8})^{2} \\
    & = 1.446 \times 10^{43} Kgm^{2}/s\end{align} [/tex]

(iii) Conservation of angular momentum [tex] \begin{align} I_{i} \omega_{i}&= I_{f} \omega_{f} \\
    \frac{2}{5}M_{i}R_{i}^{2} \omega_{i} & = \frac{2}{5}M_{f}R_{f}^{2} \omega_{f} \\
    R_{f} & = \sqrt{\frac{\omega_{i}}{\omega_{f}}R_{i}^{2}} \\
    & = 34.718.87 m \\
    & = 34.71 km \end{align} [/tex]

(iv) [tex] \begin{align} \Delta L & = I_{f} \omega_{f} - I_{i} \omega{i} \\
    & = 1.2 \times 10^{34} kgm^{2}/s\end{align} [/tex]

[tex] \tau = \frac{\Delta L}{\Delta T} = \frac{1.2 \times 10^{34}}{1.2 \times 10^{-5}} = 1 \times 10^{39} N [/tex]

Thanks. Does this look okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Revisit your determination of the angular velocity in part (i). The method should not involve degrees at all. One "cycle" or rotation is ##2 \pi ~ rad## (just as one rotation is also 360 degrees, but your angular velocity should be specified in radians per second).

I believe that part (iv) is meant to pertain to the star once it's already in neutron star form: it's observed to be slowing at the specified rate. So it won't involve the initial state of the star at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted