How Do You Calculate the Blast Radius of a Nuclear Explosion?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SiegfriedC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explosion Nuclear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
SiegfriedC
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
My first post here, so Hello Everyone!

I searched the forum for info but unfortunately I couldn't find it.

I am in the middle of making nuclear explosion map (google maps based). Can anyone support me with equations for calculating approximate blast radius based on yield?

I would like to display area (circle) of total destruction, area of heavy damage caused by shockwave and area of heavy fires (firestorm) caused by thermal radiation. Any other suggestions are welcome. If there are no generic equations, could you please calculate values for 550kT?

Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org