How do you calculate the max number of electrons with ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons Max
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
barthayn
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
How do you calculate the maximum number of electrons with principal quantum number:
a) 1
b) 2

There is more, but I list two because I want to learn how to do it. How do you show your work mathematically and what is is the principal quantum number?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, it's been awhile. For 1 there's just the s suborbital with 2 e, right?
For 2 there is the px, the py and the pz subs, each having 2 for a total of 6. Or is it that the 2 quantum number includes the s?
 
I don't understand what you are claiming to do.