How Do You Calculate the Motion and Velocity of a Falling Object with Drag?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
keelejody
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
i have a question but no mark scheme so i can't see where I am going wrong. a mass, m, is dropped with speed zero from point O at time t=0 after time t it has traveled x. the body is subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag -mkv.

(A) write the equation of motion:

ok so i know v=dx/dt

and I've said f=m(dv/dt)

so f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv? because theyre opposite

I can't think what else to write, since this is 5 marks... unless i need sort this in terms of ODE's where g and k are constants?

(B) calculate velocity as a function of time, and the limiting velocity at very large time.

so i need v(t)? from v=dx/dt and this is where i use ODE's and work out V.

again i can't see where the marks come from this is worth 8.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


keelejody said:
i have a question but no mark scheme so i can't see where I am going wrong. a mass, m, is dropped with speed zero from point O at time t=0 after time t it has traveled x. the body is subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag -mkv.

(A) write the equation of motion:

ok so i know v=dx/dt

and I've said f=m(dv/dt)

so f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv? because theyre opposite

I can't think what else to write, since this is 5 marks... unless i need sort this in terms of ODE's where g and k are constants?

(B) calculate velocity as a function of time, and the limiting velocity at very large time.

so i need v(t)? from v=dx/dt and this is where i use ODE's and work out V.

again i can't see where the marks come from this is worth 8.

The accelerating force and the drag force are in opposite directions, so they should have opposite signs.
 


If you can write an expression for the total acceleration, you'll be away to the races.
 


keelejody said:
so f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv? because theyre opposite

drag is opposite to velocity. velocity is in direction of g. Right. hence you cannot write m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv. also dv/dt is +ve, this means
m(dv/dt)= mg - mkv