Finding shortest distance between an observer and a moving object

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Find the shortest distance of an observer at the point (2, 1, 3) from a rocket in free
flight with velocity (1, 2, 3) m/s. The rocket was launched at time t = 0 from (1, 1, 1).
Lengths are in kilometers.
Relevant Equations
Please see below.
1697805216626.png

The rocket has constant velocity so we can write it's equation of motion as :
$$\vec r = \vec r_0+t \vec v_0 $$ We can write it for components along each axis :
$$x = x_0 + v_{0,x}t$$$$y = y_0 + v_{0,y}t$$$$z = z_0 + v_{0,z}t$$We put known values in above equations :$$x=1000+t$$$$y=1000+2t$$$$z=1000+3t$$We found position of rocket as a function of time. So we can use Distance formula in 3D to find distance of the observer from rocket as a function of time.$$D(t)=((t-1000)^2+(2t)^2+(3t-2000)^2)^{(\frac 1 2)}$$

We want to find "t" in which D(t) becomes minimum.
$$\frac {d}{dt} D(t) = 0$$
$$\frac {d}{dt} ((t-1000)^2+(2t)^2+(3t-2000)^2)^{(\frac 1 2)}=0$$$$2t-2000+8t+18t-12000=0$$$$28t-14000=0$$ $$t=500$$Minimum Distance between them :
$$D(t_{min})=D(t=500)=((500-1000)^2+(2*500)^2+(3*500-2000)^2)^{(\frac 1 2)}=1224.74 m$$

Is my answer correct?

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and erobz
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I get, although I took a few shortcuts. Like moving the origin to the launch point of the rocket.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Like moving the origin to the launch point of the rocket.
Good idea.

@PeroK Thank you for your help.

@erobz Thank you for your help.

Latex tip: I think that "\dfrac" must keep the exponent larger than it should be, I would just use "\frac{}{}".

Also, parenthesis that automatically size " \left( [your math] \right)"

I assume you know about "\sqrt{}",but don't prefer it.

Likes MatinSAR
erobz said:
Latex tip: I think that "\dfrac" must keep the exponent larger than it should be, I would just use "\frac{}{}".
Agree. Thank you.
erobz said:
I assume you know about "\sqrt{}",but don't prefer it.
Yes. But now I see that here it is better to use "\sqrt{}".

Likes erobz
Another shortcut that avoids minimizing is to note that when the shortest distance occurs, the velocity of the rocket is perpendicular to the rocket's displacement from the observer.
Let ##\vec X_O=~## observer's position
Let ##\vec X_R=~## rocket's initial position
Let ##\vec V_R=~## rocket's velocity
The displacement vector is
##\vec D = \vec X_R+\vec V_R~t-\vec X_O##
and the time of closest approach is given by$$0=\vec V_R\cdot \vec D=\vec V_R\cdot (\vec X_R+\vec V_Rt-\vec X_O)=V_R^2~t+\vec V_R\cdot(\vec X_R-\vec X_O) \implies t = \frac{\vec V_R\cdot(\vec X_O-\vec X_R)}{V_R^2}. $$

Likes nasu, PeroK, Steve4Physics and 2 others
kuruman said:
Another shortcut that avoids minimizing is to note that when the shortest distance occurs, the velocity of the rocket is perpendicular to the rocket's displacement from the observer.
I haven't known about it. Thanks alot for your time.

Note also that the velocity units are not relevant (as long as they are the same in every direction). Nor is the magnitude of the velocity relevant. So, you don't actually have to convert km to m or vice versa. Only the direction of the velocity matters.

Likes MatinSAR
PS if you follow through with the @kuruman solution, then you should see the magnitude of velocity cancel out.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
PS if you follow through with the @kuruman solution, then you should see the magnitude of velocity cancel out.
And that makes eminent sense. The straight line of the rocket's trajectory depends only on the direction but not the magnitude of the rocket's velocity. To elaborate on post #8, one can always draw that line regardless of how fast the rocket is moving and then find the perpendicular to it from the location of the observer.

Likes MatinSAR
kuruman said:
Let ##\vec X_O=~## observer's position
Let ##\vec X_R=~## rocket's initial position
Let ##\vec V_R=~## rocket's velocity
The displacement vector is
##\vec D = \vec X_R+\vec V_R~t-\vec X_O##
and the time of closest approach is given by$$0=\vec V_R\cdot \vec D=\vec V_R\cdot (\vec X_R+\vec V_Rt-\vec X_O)=V_R^2~t+\vec V_R\cdot(\vec X_R-\vec X_O) \implies t = \frac{\vec V_R\cdot(\vec X_O-\vec X_R)}{V_R^2}. $$
My method is probably unacceptable. Because this exercise is from mathematical methods for physicists(arfken ) and it was in dot product section. I guess I should solve the problem again but using this metod.

@PeroK @kuruman Thanks a lot for your help.

Likes WWGD
We should really tie all this together. Note that if we let ##\vec D_0 = \vec X_R - \vec X_O##, then we have:
$$\vec D = \vec Vt + \vec D_0$$$$D^2 = \vec D \cdot \vec D$$$$\frac d {dt}(D^2) = 2\vec D \cdot \frac d {dt}(\vec D) = 2\vec V \cdot \vec D$$And we can see that ##\dfrac d {dt}(D^2) = 0## when ##\vec V \cdot \vec D = 0##. Which must be the minimum.

Moreover:
$$\vec V \cdot \vec D = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ V^2t + \vec V \cdot \vec D_0 = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ t = -\frac{\vec V \cdot \vec D_0}{V^2}$$And, for the minimum distance we have:
$$\vec D = \vec Vt + \vec D_0 = \vec D_0 - \frac{\vec V \cdot \vec D_0}{V^2}\vec V = \vec D_0 - (\hat V \cdot \vec D_0)\hat V \ \ \ (\text{where} \ \hat V = \frac{\vec V}{V})$$$$D^2 = D_0^2 - 2(\vec D_0 \cdot \hat V)^2 + (\hat V \cdot \vec D_0)^2$$$$D^2 = D_0^2 - (\vec D_0 \cdot \hat V)^2$$Let's check that in this case:
$$\vec D_0 = (-1, 0, -2), \hat V = \frac 1 {\sqrt {14}}(1,2,3), \ D_0^2 = 5, \ \vec D_0 \cdot \hat V =- \frac 7 {\sqrt {14}} $$$$D^2 = \frac 3 2$$

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
We should really tie all this together. Note that if we let ##\vec D_0 = \vec X_R - \vec X_O##, then we have:
$$\vec D = \vec Vt + \vec D_0$$$$D^2 = \vec D \cdot \vec D$$$$\frac d {dt}(D^2) = 2\vec D \cdot \frac d {dt}(\vec D) = 2\vec V \cdot \vec D$$And we can see that ##\dfrac d {dt}(D^2) = 0## when ##\vec V \cdot \vec D = 0##. Which must be the minimum.

Moreover:
$$\vec V \cdot \vec D = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ V^2t + \vec V \cdot \vec D_0 = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ t = -\frac{\vec V \cdot \vec D_0}{V^2}$$And, for the minimum distance we have:
$$\vec D = \vec Vt + \vec D_0 = \vec D_0 - \frac{\vec V \cdot \vec D_0}{V^2}\vec V = \vec D_0 - (\hat V \cdot \vec D_0)\hat V \ \ \ (\text{where} \ \hat V = \frac{\vec V}{V})$$$$D^2 = D_0^2 - 2(\vec D_0 \cdot \hat V)^2 + (\hat V \cdot \vec D_0)^2$$$$D^2 = D_0^2 - (\vec D_0 \cdot \hat V)^2$$Let's check that in this case:
$$\vec D_0 = (-1, 0, -2), \hat V = \frac 1 {\sqrt {14}}(1,2,3), \ D_0^2 = 5, \ \vec D_0 \cdot \hat V =- \frac 7 {\sqrt {14}} $$$$D^2 = \frac 3 2$$
Great!!
Thank you for the help 🙏.

PeroK said:

Moreover:
That's a lot of work to get to $$D^2 = D_0^2 - (\vec D_0 \cdot \hat V)^2.$$
Note that the initial positions of rocket and observer, points A and O respectively, and the point P of closest approach form a right triangle shown below.

ClosestApproach.png

Distance AP is the projection of the initial displacement on the rocket's path, ##\mathbf{D}_0\cdot \mathbf{\hat v}##. The Pythagorean theorem gives the distance of closest approach, $$D_{\text{min}}=\sqrt{D_0^2-(\mathbf{D}_0\cdot \mathbf{\hat v})^2}.$$

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK

1. How do you calculate the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object?

The shortest distance between an observer and a moving object can be calculated using the formula: d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity of the moving object, and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the observer.

2. Can the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object change?

Yes, the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object can change if the velocity or direction of the object changes. It can also change if the observer's position or the object's position changes.

3. Is the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object always a straight line?

No, the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object can be a straight line only if the object is moving in a straight line. If the object is moving in a curved path, the shortest distance will be along the tangent to the object's path at the point closest to the observer.

4. How does the relative speed between the observer and the moving object affect the shortest distance?

The relative speed between the observer and the moving object affects the shortest distance by changing the time it takes for the object to reach the observer. A higher relative speed will result in a shorter time and therefore a shorter distance, while a lower relative speed will result in a longer time and a longer distance.

5. Can the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object be negative?

No, the shortest distance between an observer and a moving object cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance between the observer and the object at the closest point of approach.