Probability of at most 1 brown M&M in 7 draws

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter r1terrell23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Binomial Stats
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
r1terrell23
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Okay so I did this problem and got it wrong but I get one more chance to get it right. I tried using Binomial Dist to solve it but I failed.

30% of all M&Ms are brown. If 7 M&Ms are randomly selected, what is the probability that at most 1 is brown?

I thought I would use 0 and 1 but I guess not. Can someone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, got the probs reversed. switch .3 and .7.

p0=.77
p1=7*.76*.3

Add them up.
 
For Binomial Distribution,
take n=7, p=0.3, q=1-p=0.7.

P(X<=1)=P(X=0)+P(X=1)=q^7+n*p*q^6

thts it gys...
enjy