How Do You Calculate the Speed and Centripetal Acceleration of a Satellite?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Coldchillin
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
"An Earth satellite moves in a circular orbit 597 km above Earth's surface with a period of 96.42 min. What are (a) the speed and (b) the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the satellite?"


Ok, so first I converted everything to standard units. I made a circle diagram with radius 597,000m and it's period is 5785.2 seconds. So to find the acceleration I had to find the velocity, which I had as v=(2*(Pi)*(597,000))/5785.2s and got v=648.39 m/s. Then to find the acceleration I used a=(648.39)^2/597,000 and got a=.704 m/s^2, which apparently is wrong. Can someone help me out? Also, what is the difference between the speed and magnitude? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the satellite is orbiting above the Earth the radius of its orbit must include the radius of the earth!