How Do You Calculate the Time for a Mass to Fall Using Moment of Inertia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jago-k1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jago-k1
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How long does it take for the hanging mass to fall the same distance 31.5 cm?
I don't know how to solve for T with everything I have. Help please.

Homework Equations



mgh=(1/2)I(2h/tr)2 + (1/2)m(2h/t)2

The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, previous questions are[All correct]
1.
Two masses of 150. g are suspended from a massless rod at a distance of 9.0 cm from the center. What is the moment of inertial of the two-mass system about the center of the rod?

I=m1*R^2
since they are two masses that weigh the same
I= 2(.15kg)(.09m)^2=2.43E-03 Correct


2.
If the masses rotate with an angular velocity of 2.45 rad/s, what is the rotational kinetic energy of the system?

KEr=(1/2)Iw^2 = (2.43E-03 )(2.45 rad/s)^2 = 7.29E-03 J Correct


3.
Consider the setup shown in the lab manual but with the large masses removed from the support rod. If the hanging mass is 100. g and drops a distance 31.5 cm in a time of 6.1 s, what is the moment of inertia of the support rod and shaft? The radius of the shaft is 0.50 cm.

I=mr^2(gt^2/2h - 1) = 1.446E-03 kg m^2 Correct


4.
Now two masses each of 200 g are placed on the rod at a distance of 11.0 cm from the point of rotation. What is the TOTAL moment of inertia of the masses plus rod and shaft?
Yes, Computer gets: 6.286E-03 kg m^2

I=2MR^2+Io is what you get from #3
I=2(.2kg)(.11m)^2 + Io = 6.286E-03 kg m^2 Correct
 
Physics news on Phys.org