How Do You Eliminate the Arbitrary Constant in the Equation x^3 - 3x^2y = C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iwan2learn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
iwan2learn
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I would like to eliminate the arbitrary constant in this equation:
2. x^3-3x^2y=C
3. I tried differentiating with respect to x:
x^3-3x^2y=C
3x^2-(3x^2+6xy)=0?

This is where i don't know what I will do next. I don't know know what the result of differentiating C with respect to x. I assumed it is zero but I don't know if its right. Pls help me thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iwan2learn said:
I would like to eliminate the arbitrary constant in this equation:

2. x^3-3x^2y=C
Why? What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve? Differentiating with respect to x (which you attempted below) will get rid of the constant, but so what?
iwan2learn said:
3. I tried differentiating with respect to x:
x^3-3x^2y=C
3x^2-(3x^2+6xy)=0?
When you differentiate -3x2y, you need to use the product rule. y is not a constant
iwan2learn said:
This is where i don't know what I will do next. I don't know know what the result of differentiating C with respect to x. I assumed it is zero but I don't know if its right. Pls help me thanks
Since C is a constant, its derivative is zero.