How do you eliminate one term of several in a denominator?

• Thread starter 5P@N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, when trying to isolate one of the ##r_{\text{mo}}## terms in the given fraction, multiplying both sides by ##r_{\text{mo}}^2## and taking the reciprocal of each fraction will result in the correct equation for ##r_{\text{mo}}##. However, it is important to be careful with the indices of the masses to avoid errors.
5P@N
So I have this fraction:$$\frac {mass_{\text{mo}}}{r_{\text{mo}}^2} = \frac {mass_{\text{ea}}}{(\text{KLCOM})^2 -2((\text{KLCOM}) (r_{\text{mo}})) + (r_{\text{mo}})^2}$$

Don't worry about what these various terms represent - my question has only to do with an algebraic rule I've forgotten. I am trying to isolate one of the ##r_{\text{mo}}## terms. So my question is basically this: if I was to multiply both sides by ##r_{\text{mo}}^2##, would it result in the following equation?
$$mass_{\text{mo}} = \frac {mass_{\text{ea}}}{(\text{KLCOM})^2 -2((\text{KLCOM}) (r_{\text{mo}}))}$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No. What sort of reciprocal?

Is my method correct, or do I need to use another method, because I've gotten the algebraic rule wrong?

5P@N said:
Is my method correct, or do I need to use another method, because I've gotten the algebraic rule wrong?
No.
The rules that apply here are ##\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d} ⇔ a \cdot d = b \cdot c ⇔ \frac{b}{a} = \frac{d}{c} ## if none of the numbers is zero.
Since your masses are probably not zero you can just exchange numerator and denominator on both sides.

5P@N said:
So I have this fraction:$$\frac {mass_{\text{mo}}}{r_{\text{mo}}^2} = \frac {mass_{\text{ea}}}{(\text{KLCOM})^2 -2((\text{KLCOM}) (r_{\text{mo}})) + (r_{\text{mo}})^2}$$

Don't worry about what these various terms represent - my question has only to do with an algebraic rule I've forgotten. I am trying to isolate one of the ##r_{\text{mo}}## terms. So my question is basically this: if I was to multiply both sides by ##r_{\text{mo}}^2##, would it result in the following equation?
$$mass_{\text{mo}} = \frac {mass_{\text{ea}}}{(\text{KLCOM})^2 -2((\text{KLCOM}) (r_{\text{mo}}))}$$

No, not even close.

You can solve for rmo by recognizing that the denominator on the RHS can be factored. By multiplying both sides by rmo and dividing both sides by massea, you can eventually come up with an expression for rmo in terms of KLCOM and the ratio of the masses.

Allright: I factored out the denominator on the RHS, then multiplied both sides by rmo. Then I inverted both fractions, and got the square root of both. Then on the RHS I expressed the fraction as two fractions, simplified, subtracted 1 from both sides, divided both sides by KLCOM, then inverted both fractions once again. Here is my answer:
$$\frac{KLCOM}{\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} +1} = r_{\text{mo}}$$

Kosher?

5P@N said:
Allright: I factored out the denominator on the RHS, then multiplied both sides by rmo. Then I inverted both fractions, and got the square root of both. Then on the RHS I expressed the fraction as two fractions, simplified, subtracted 1 from both sides, divided both sides by KLCOM, then inverted both fractions once again. Here is my answer:
$$\frac{KLCOM}{\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} +1} = r_{\text{mo}}$$

Kosher?
No, you're close, but you seem to have made some mistakes before you got here.

It would be better if you posted all your work leading up to this.

:H
Very well...

I begin with having the denominator on the RHS factored, to yield:$$\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}{r_{\text{mo}}^2} = \frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{(\text{KLCOM} - r_{\text{mo}})^2}$$

Then I multiply both sides by ##r_{\text{mo}}^2##, and divide both sides by ##\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}## to yield:$$\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}} = \frac{r_{\text{mo}}^2}{(\text{KLCOM} - r_{\text{mo}})^2}$$

Next I switch the numerators and denominators on both sides: $$\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}} = \frac{(\text{KLCOM} - r_{\text{mo}})^2}{r_{\text{mo}}^2}$$

Then I get the square root of both sides:$$\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} = \frac{\text{KLCOM} - r_{\text{mo}}}{r_{\text{mo}}}$$

On the RHS, with one common denominator, I then render it into two terms:$$\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} = \frac{\text{KLCOM}}{r_{\text{mo}}} -\frac{r_{\text{mo}}}{r_{\text{mo}}}$$

The second term on the RHS simplifies to -1, which I add to both sides viz:$$\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} +1 = \frac{\text{KLCOM}}{r_{\text{mo}}}$$

Then I divide both sides by KLCOM:$$\frac{\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} +1}{\text{KLCOM}} = \frac{1}{ r_{\text{mo}}}$$

Finally, I invert the numerators and denominators one last time to yield (triumphant trumpet flourish): THE WRONG ANSWER! YAY!:$$\frac{\text{KLCOM}}{\sqrt{\frac{\text{mass}_{\text{ea}}}{\text{mass}_{\text{mo}}}} +1}{} = r_{\text{mo}}$$

All of this more than begs the question: where did I go wrong?

Should be correct. My bad eyes just don't see the mass indices very well. I've got "ea / mo".

In making my solution of rmo, I didn't make as many inversions as you did.

My solution came out:

$$r_{mo}=\frac{KCMOL ⋅ \sqrt{\frac{mass_{mo}}{mass_{ea}}}}{1+\sqrt{\frac{mass_{mo}}{mass_{ea}}}}$$

If you do some more manipulation, I agree with your result, which is more elegant. :smile:

So I was right after all?

5P@N said:
So I was right after all?
Yes.

Related to How do you eliminate one term of several in a denominator?

1. How do you eliminate one term of several in a denominator?

One way to eliminate a term in a denominator is by using the distributive property. This involves multiplying both the numerator and denominator by a common factor to cancel out the term you want to eliminate.

2. Can you give an example of eliminating a term in a denominator?

Sure, let's say we have the fraction 2x/(x^2 + 3x). To eliminate the term x in the denominator, we can multiply both the numerator and denominator by x, resulting in 2x^2/(x^2 + 3x^2). Now, the x term in the denominator is eliminated.

3. Are there any other methods to eliminate a term in a denominator?

Yes, another method is to factor the denominator and then cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator. This can help simplify the fraction and eliminate the unwanted term.

4. What should I do if there are multiple terms in the denominator that I want to eliminate?

If there are multiple terms in the denominator that you want to eliminate, you can use a combination of methods such as the distributive property and factoring to simplify the fraction. It may also be helpful to rearrange the terms in the numerator and denominator before applying these methods.

5. Is it always necessary to eliminate terms in a denominator?

Not necessarily. In some cases, it may be more beneficial to leave the terms in the denominator as they are. It ultimately depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve and what form is most useful for your purposes.