How do you even cheat in chess?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess even
In summary, Magnus Carlsen accuses his rival Hans Niemann of cheating. Niemann denies the accusations, but admits to cheating in the past. Carlsen withdrew from a chess tournament following his defeat to the American.
  • Wow
Likes berkeman and dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
Beyond ridiculous. Actually, playing "pro" chess on the internet (ok, the s$$ty pandemic, but also before and now, i.e. after) is generally a bad idea in the age of computer software.

Likes symbolipoint
dextercioby said:
Beyond ridiculous. Actually, playing "pro" chess on the internet (ok, the s$$ty pandemic, but also before and now, i.e. after) is generally a bad idea in the age of computer software.
It gives so many more (environmentally friendly) options for top-level tournaments. One option is to have a local official in the room with each competitor. I think it's workable, especially for an elite-level tournament.

The vast majority of serious players don't cheat. It's not even clear that Niemann is still cheating. He didn't do well at the tournament in question.

I am sorry. A lil obtuse and old-fashioned here. For me, pro-chess is OtB, I do not care about "environmentally friendly" and "cost-saving".

dextercioby said:
, I do not care about "environmentally friendly"
Some of us do care about trashing the planet!

Likes pinball1970
The impact of chess tournaments is 0. Look how much China and India pollute. And I stop here. :)

• Sad
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Chess.com has issued a report on Hans Niemann, with the conclusion that he likely cheated in online games and tournaments up until 2020.

https://www.chess.com/blog/CHESScom/hans-niemann-report
Afaik, they didn't do a similar analysis for every player in the world with FIDE rating of, say, 2500 or higher.

Likes dextercioby
I haven't watched it, but here's how one could cheat at chess using electronics hidden on one's own body.