How do you find the derivative of xe^{x}?

  • Thread starter Thread starter danielle36
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
danielle36
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I came across a derivative question on my exam that involved finding the derivative of

[tex]xe^{x}[/tex]

and I realized I wasn't sure what to do with it... I figured you could either use

[tex]f'(x^{n}) = nx^{n-1}[/tex]

and come out with

[tex]xe^{x}[/tex]

or maybe since x is a variable you need to use the multiplication rule?

f'g + g'f

[tex]= e^{x} + xe^{x}[/tex]

(Or maybe something entirely different - this is still new to me :rolleyes:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You answered your own question. You use the product rule and come out with xe^x+e^x. Good job.

EDIT: Some teachers would prefer you to simplify your problem into (x+1)e^x, but either way, you got the right answer.