1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you finish rearranging the Doppler shift formula

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i am using the Doppler shift formula Fs=F0(1/1+-(vsource/c) i can rearrange it to an extent but when i use it to find my answer i i need to divide it by two in order to do it, every time. I would just like to understand why this is, or if i am doing it completely wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ((Fs/F0)-1)*V(sound)=Vsource
    but if i turn it into 2Vsource it comes out that i will get the right answer when i divide it by two to get vsource, so please explain why there is a two there.

Please and thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

tms

If I understand your symbols, I think you've got the ratio of the frequencies upside down.

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    Yes, thank you, they were reversed, that created my formula to be positive instead of a negative end number, but i still need to divide Vsource by 2 in order to get the correct answer.

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

tms

Show your work, then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook