1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you isolate a variable in a function such as this

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    x^4+y^4+z^4+(4x^2)*(y^2)*(z^2)-34=0
    ive tried all sorts of things factoring, algebraic manipulation ect. but i dont get how you could isolate a variable for a function like this i.e z= f(x,y).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    You may not be able express one variable explicitly in terms of the other two.

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Everything seems to be raised to powers of two. Therefore for some variable say x, replace x^2 with w, and then find w using the quadratic equation.

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to solve for z (isolate z), treat it as a polynomial is z. For example, write it as [itex]z^4+ [4x^2y^2]z^2+ [x^4+ y^4- 34]= 0[/itex]
    That's a fourth degree equation but, as John Chrieto suggests, since it has only even powers of z, letting [itex]w= z^2[/itex] gives [itex]w^2+ [4x^2y^2]w+ [x^4+ y^4- 34]= 0[/itex], a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula- giving two solutions in terms of x and y. Then you can take the two square roots of each of those to give the four solutions to the fourth degree equation.

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5
    wow thank you guys you went well and beyond what i was thinking i didnt even think to substitute any of the squared variables and solve as a qudratic. Great insight/ intellegence.

7. Aug 19, 2009 #6
    ok so i tried doing that but i get stuck at this point: i did w^2+w*u+v=0 where w=z^2 and u and v are both equal to the separated "clump" functions. then i plug the variables into the quadratic equation and substitute and i get radical (x^4*(4y^4-1)-y^2-34)-2x^2*y^2 i don't get how you get two functions one in x and one in y.

8. Aug 20, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you think you should?

Very few functions of 3 variables can be reduce to "z= f(x)g(y)".

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8
    idk i just wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong or if i missed a step, also is your not the only one to say that im curious is it just a general assumption or is there a proof for different classes of functions that tells if they can be reduced to z=f(x)y(x) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook