How do you isolate a variable in a function such as this

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of isolating a variable in a function with multiple variables and even powers. It is suggested to treat the function as a polynomial in z and use substitution to solve for z. However, it is noted that very few functions of 3 variables can be reduced to "z= f(x)g(y)". The speaker is curious if there is a proof for different classes of functions that can be reduced in this way.
Storm Butler
x^4+y^4+z^4+(4x^2)*(y^2)*(z^2)-34=0
I've tried all sorts of things factoring, algebraic manipulation ect. but i don't get how you could isolate a variable for a function like this i.e z= f(x,y).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You may not be able express one variable explicitly in terms of the other two.

Everything seems to be raised to powers of two. Therefore for some variable say x, replace x^2 with w, and then find w using the quadratic equation.

Storm Butler said:
x^4+y^4+z^4+(4x^2)*(y^2)*(z^2)-34=0
I've tried all sorts of things factoring, algebraic manipulation ect. but i don't get how you could isolate a variable for a function like this i.e z= f(x,y).
If you want to solve for z (isolate z), treat it as a polynomial is z. For example, write it as [itex]z^4+ [4x^2y^2]z^2+ [x^4+ y^4- 34]= 0[/itex]
That's a fourth degree equation but, as John Chrieto suggests, since it has only even powers of z, letting [itex]w= z^2[/itex] gives [itex]w^2+ [4x^2y^2]w+ [x^4+ y^4- 34]= 0[/itex], a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula- giving two solutions in terms of x and y. Then you can take the two square roots of each of those to give the four solutions to the fourth degree equation.

wow thank you guys you went well and beyond what i was thinking i didnt even think to substitute any of the squared variables and solve as a qudratic. Great insight/ intellegence.

ok so i tried doing that but i get stuck at this point: i did w^2+w*u+v=0 where w=z^2 and u and v are both equal to the separated "clump" functions. then i plug the variables into the quadratic equation and substitute and i get radical (x^4*(4y^4-1)-y^2-34)-2x^2*y^2 i don't get how you get two functions one in x and one in y.

Why do you think you should?

Very few functions of 3 variables can be reduce to "z= f(x)g(y)".

idk i just wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong or if i missed a step, also is your not the only one to say that I am curious is it just a general assumption or is there a proof for different classes of functions that tells if they can be reduced to z=f(x)y(x) ?

1. How do you isolate a variable in a function such as this?

In order to isolate a variable in a function, you need to use algebraic techniques such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get the variable on one side of the equation by itself.

2. Can you provide an example of isolating a variable in a function?

Yes, for example, if we have the function y = 2x + 4 and we want to isolate the variable x, we can do so by subtracting 4 from both sides of the equation, giving us y - 4 = 2x. Then, we can divide both sides by 2 to get x by itself, resulting in x = (y - 4)/2.

3. Why is it important to isolate a variable in a function?

Isolating a variable in a function allows us to solve for that variable and find its value. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, where we need to manipulate equations to find unknown variables.

4. Are there any common mistakes when isolating a variable in a function?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, not distributing a coefficient properly, or making a calculation error. It is important to check your work and double check your steps to avoid these mistakes.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble isolating a variable in a function?

If you are struggling to isolate a variable in a function, it may be helpful to review basic algebraic concepts and techniques. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor who can provide guidance and practice problems. Additionally, there are online resources and apps that can assist with solving equations and isolating variables.