Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you know that a particle is strongly interacting?

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    when physicists discovered particles other than nucleons, before the quark model, how did they know they are "strongly" interacting, is it the half-life?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Yes, half-life i.e. decay width (and in general strength of interaction, i.e. scattering cross section, but that doesn not apply to outgoing particles, of course)

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No, not the half-life, it has to do with production. Particles are typically produced via strong interaction and decay via weak interaction. Strong interactions have a characteristic time scale of 10-23 sec, whereas most decays are 10-13 sec or thereabouts.

However the shortest lived known particle, the top quark, decays into a W boson and a bottom quark with an estimated lifetime of 5×10−25 sec. Even this is a semi-weak interaction.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I think we are not talking about quarks but e.g. hadrons.

How do you distinguish a meson and its decay channels from a myon or tau lepton? or from a neutrino? especially when you are capturing data from cosmic radiation? via half-life of the paricle; production is not under control.

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Ok, here's a question for you. I have a particle with a mass of 1.8 GeV and an observed lifetime of 3 x 10-13 sec. From the relationship that you believe exists connecting a particle's lifetime with its strong interactions, tell me whether you think this particle is a hadron or a lepton.

7. Aug 31, 2011 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I cannot distinguish whether it's a hadron or a lepton, but I can GUESS that it decays only weakly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook