1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying How do you know whether you will enjoy physics or not ?

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    I am a high school student whose life long ambition is to study physics and teach it in an enjoyable manner . I want people to understand that it's more than some complicated mathematical equations and problems , but when it comes to ' studying physics at Uni. ' I freak out :D . How do I know whether physics won't be boring with the advanced curriculum . I am used to reading about physics in my free time and I never get bored . will I lose that passion if I took this step ? Should I rethink my ideas ?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2
    If you like doing physics then just do it!
    Now, lots of students coming from high schools are shocked when they find out what physics really is. The problem is that they have been watching lots of popular science TV shows or reading nontechnical books. Studying Physics involves doing lots of maths. And in order to understand different phenomena, one needs to study more complicated theories which means abstract maths classes are out of question. If you already now this then go ahead and I am sure you will enjoy the ride!

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    To maybe just rephrase what Mr-R said: If you like actually doing physics (-related activities) then you probably will like physics. If you only like reading about physics and fantasizing about finding the world formula then you probably won't like physics.

5. Jul 14, 2016 #4
    How can I find out ?
    I am not well informed about advanced maths to read in real physics . I made my opinion on physics according to what i've learned at high school and what I read in articles , but not deep enough as a physics major student .

6. Jul 14, 2016 #5
    Have you tried going through physics textbooks on your own? (at the right level of course) That would give you an idea of how it might be like at Uni.

7. Jul 14, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you need to know if you like it before you try it? You wouldn't be the first person to discover you didn't like something and switch majors.

8. Jul 14, 2016 #7
    You won't know until you try it! When I was in high school all I wanted to be was a chemist and I was super passionate... then I went to college and majored in physics. I took courses in chemistry in college and got some experience in research. Then, decided it wasn't for me. Hence the switch.

I hope your passion for physics continues! Good Luck!

9. Jul 15, 2016 #8
    The idea of my statement was: if you enjoy math and physics now, then you probably will also enjoy the "more advanced" math and physics. If you don't like it now then don't put your hopes into more complicated things suddenly becoming more interesting just because they sound cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted