How do you know whether you will enjoy physics or not ?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Zenkstorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who wants to study physics at university but is worried about finding it boring due to the advanced curriculum. The expert advises that if the student enjoys doing physics-related activities, they will likely enjoy studying physics at university. The student is also encouraged to read physics textbooks and try it out before making a decision. They are also reminded that it's okay to switch majors if they find they don't like it. The expert wishes the student luck and hopes their passion for physics continues.
Zenkstorm
I am a high school student whose life long ambition is to study physics and teach it in an enjoyable manner . I want people to understand that it's more than some complicated mathematical equations and problems , but when it comes to ' studying physics at Uni. ' I freak out :D . How do I know whether physics won't be boring with the advanced curriculum . I am used to reading about physics in my free time and I never get bored . will I lose that passion if I took this step ? Should I rethink my ideas ?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like doing physics then just do it!
Now, lots of students coming from high schools are shocked when they find out what physics really is. The problem is that they have been watching lots of popular science TV shows or reading nontechnical books. Studying Physics involves doing lots of maths. And in order to understand different phenomena, one needs to study more complicated theories which means abstract maths classes are out of question. If you already now this then go ahead and I am sure you will enjoy the ride!

Likes Zenkstorm
To maybe just rephrase what Mr-R said: If you like actually doing physics (-related activities) then you probably will like physics. If you only like reading about physics and fantasizing about finding the world formula then you probably won't like physics.

Likes Mr-R
Timo said:
To maybe just rephrase what Mr-R said: If you like actually doing physics (-related activities) then you probably will like physics. If you only like reading about physics and fantasizing about finding the world formula then you probably won't like physics.

How can I find out ?
I am not well informed about advanced maths to read in real physics . I made my opinion on physics according to what I've learned at high school and what I read in articles , but not deep enough as a physics major student .

Zenkstorm said:
How can I find out ?
I am not well informed about advanced maths to read in real physics . I made my opinion on physics according to what I've learned at high school and what I read in articles , but not deep enough as a physics major student .

Have you tried going through physics textbooks on your own? (at the right level of course) That would give you an idea of how it might be like at Uni.

Why do you need to know if you like it before you try it? You wouldn't be the first person to discover you didn't like something and switch majors.

Likes Zenkstorm
You won't know until you try it! When I was in high school all I wanted to be was a chemist and I was super passionate... then I went to college and majored in physics. I took courses in chemistry in college and got some experience in research. Then, decided it wasn't for me. Hence the switch.

I hope your passion for physics continues! Good Luck!

Likes Zenkstorm
Zenkstorm said:
How can I find out [whether I like university physics]?
I am not well informed about advanced maths to read in real physics.
The idea of my statement was: if you enjoy math and physics now, then you probably will also enjoy the "more advanced" math and physics. If you don't like it now then don't put your hopes into more complicated things suddenly becoming more interesting just because they sound cool.

Likes Zenkstorm

1. Can anyone enjoy physics or is it only for people who are naturally good at it?

Physics is a subject that requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but it is not limited to only those who are naturally gifted in these areas. With dedication and hard work, anyone can develop an interest and understanding in physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to enjoy physics?

Having a solid foundation in math is certainly helpful when studying physics, as the two subjects are closely intertwined. However, it is not necessary to have a strong math background to enjoy physics. With patience and practice, one can develop the necessary math skills to excel in physics.

3. Are there certain personality traits that make someone more likely to enjoy physics?

While there is no specific personality type that is guaranteed to enjoy physics, certain traits such as curiosity, critical thinking, and a willingness to learn can make the subject more enjoyable. However, anyone can develop these traits and learn to appreciate physics.

4. How do I know if I will enjoy physics if I have never taken a physics class before?

The best way to determine if you will enjoy physics is to give it a try! Take a physics class, read a book on the subject, or watch educational videos. If you find yourself curious and engaged in the material, then you may have a natural interest in physics.

5. Can I enjoy physics even if I don't plan on pursuing a career in the field?

Absolutely! Physics is not just a subject for those who want to become physicists. It can be a fascinating and fulfilling subject for anyone interested in understanding the world around them. Many people enjoy studying physics simply for the joy of learning and expanding their knowledge.