Is it possible to do advanced physics online?

oldmember
TL;DR Summary: Some universities offer online MSc and phd in physics,are they wirth it?

I am what you would describe as wannabe physicist, i like the topic and want to study it but in my country there are no reputable universities that teach the topic in advanced lvls. So can i study it online and get academic credentials online and be able to join and publish research ?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unlikely, but not impossible. The most difficult part (after you learn a bunch of Physucs) is to choose ann appropriate topic to persue. This is a question of "right-sizing": a topic neither too hard nor too hot. Certainly a lot easier with some direct guidance from a mentor. Credentials is another question which I presume is also fraught, but I have no knowledge.

Likes oldmember
hutchphd said:
It is unlikely, but not impossible. The most difficult part (after you learn a bunch of Physucs) is to choose ann appropriate topic to persue. This is a question of "right-sizing": a topic neither t too hard nor too hot. Certainly a lot easier with some direct guidance from a mentor. The question of credentials is another question which I presume is also fraught, but I have no knowledge.
Thank you for the help, since it's online ofcourse there won't be any lab work so i was plannig to focus on mathematical and theoretical physics, for which there is a lot of detailed explanation and lectures online.

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes. Research will require more specificity!

Likes oldmember
Have you looked at the Open University which is based in the UK? I have no experience with it myself, but it gets mentioned whenever someone asks here about online physics degrees.

Likes Math100 and oldmember
jtbell said:
Have you looked at the Open University which is based in the UK? I have no experience with it myself, but it gets mentioned whenever someone asks here about online physics degrees.
Thank you for help, yes i looked at them and i consider that option as it's not expensive and also online, but i want more options and the ability to research in physics and publish

oldmember said:
Thank you for help, yes i looked at them and i consider that option as it's not expensive and also online, but i want more options and the ability to research in physics and publish
Do you already have an undergraduate degree?

Likes oldmember
PeroK said:
Do you already have an undergraduate degree?
Yes, i have undergrad in software engineering and also i have knowledge of basic physics and math.

oldmember said:
Yes, i have undergrad in software engineering and also i have knowledge of basic physics and math.
Assuming you are working, an online undergraduate degree will take about six years. That's the first step. Once you have a degree, you'd almost certainly have to give up your job to enrol in a PhD. Even if you could do a part time PhD, that would be another 6-10 years.

Likes oldmember
PeroK said:
Assuming you are working, an online undergraduate degree will take about six years. That's the first step. Once you have a degree, you'd almost certainly have to give up your job to enrol in a PhD. Even if you could do a part time PhD, that would be another 6-10 years.
The universities i looked at offer MSc mostly 2 years. I am planning to take full time i can find space for that. But the options i find include universities from UK(those can be completed in one year) US(1.5-2 years) and india(2yrs) i am not sure about PHD but i think some universities also offer it online in physics and it can be completed in 2 years.

jtbell said:
The OU has given many people the opportunity of higher education which they otherwise couldn't hope for. I have a number of friends who have done (Science) degrees and they have all attended residential courses and field trips. The OP would need to check up about that for any courses that interest him / her.

UO is a whole way of life that they all appreciated. My friends are all of an older generation when all contact was by POST and TV programmes. ON-line life is different and a lot more convenient.

Likes oldmember
Those times are unrealistic. They are what it would take a full-time student who already has a BS in physics. You need to get the eauivalent of a BS in physics before you can even start. Full-time, this will take around 5 years to do the BS+MS and more than twice that to do the BS+MS+PhD.

If you can put in 20 hours a week on this - that's 3 hours outside of work every single day, including weekends - this will take 10 years to complete. At 1/3 times (2 hours/day) it's 15 years.

There's no way around this. Years of study take years of study.

10,000 hours........

Likes oldmember
Vanadium 50 said:
Those times are unrealistic. They are what it would take a full-time student who already has a BS in physics. You need to get the eauivalent of a BS in physics before you can even start. Full-time, this will take around 5 years to do the BS+MS and more than twice that to do the BS+MS+PhD.

If you can put in 20 hours a week on this - that's 3 hours outside of work every single day, including weekends - this will take 10 years to complete. At 1/3 times (2 hours/day) it's 15 years.

There's no way around this. Years of study take years of study.
So other than the time it takes you think that in principle it's possible to study physics online and get academic credentials and be able to join and publish research?

sophiecentaur said:
The OU has given many people the opportunity of higher education which they otherwise couldn't hope for. I have a number of friends who have done (Science) degrees and they have all attended residential courses and field trips. The OP would need to check up about that for any courses that interest him / her.

UO is a whole way of life that they all appreciated. My friends are all of an older generation when all contact was by POST and TV programmes. ON-line life is different and a lot more convenient.
That's very good news

Likes sophiecentaur
oldmember said:
In the university where I'm working right now, a software engineer has to take 3 basic physics, 3 calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and some extra mathematics (complex calculus + Fourier analysis, I think). If your education was similar and you did well in those courses, then I think that's a good basis for a BS in physics, so it should take you less time to do it.

Then, a master is a reasonable endeavor. However, a Ph.D. It's probably too much commitment in time and effort.

If you want to do research, the most reasonable path is to go to computational physics or things like that .

Likes oldmember
Thank you very much that is a really helpful insight.
andresB said:
In the university where I'm working right now, a software engineer has to take 3 basic physics, 3 calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and some extra mathematics (complex calculus + Fourier analysis, I think). If your education was similar and you did well in those courses, then I think that's a good basis for a BS in physics, so it should take you less time to do it.

Then, a master is a reasonable endeavor. However, a Ph.D. It's probably too much commitment in time and effort.

If you want to do research, the most reasonable path is to go to computational physics or things like that thank you very much that it is really a helpful insight.

andresB said:

If you want to do research, the most reasonable path is to go to computational physics or things like that .
<<Emphasis added.>> I don't know what you mean by "a good basis for a BS in physics". Would this student be further along than a student who had taken no physics and math courses at all? Yes. Would this student be able to skip further undergrad courses in physics? No.

At many universities, the first 3 physics courses would typically be intro mechanics, intro E&M, and then either intro modern physics or vibrations and waves. For foundational courses for a BS in physics, that would still typically leave at least intermediate mechanics, intermediate E&M, intro thermo and stat mech, and a 2-semester sequence in quantum mechanics. With at least special relativity thrown in somewhere, along with lab courses, and specialized courses dependent on the student's interests (e.g., solid-state, nuclear, or astro). Even theoretical physicists need some exposure to labs.

CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added.>> I don't know what you mean by "a good basis for a BS in physics". Would this student be further along than a student who had taken no physics and math courses at all? Yes. Would this student be able to skip further undergrad courses in physics? No.

At many universities, the first 3 physics courses would typically be intro mechanics, intro E&M, and then either intro modern physics or vibrations and waves. For foundational courses for a BS in physics, that would still typically leave at least intermediate mechanics, intermediate E&M, intro thermo and stat mech, and a 2-semester sequence in quantum mechanics. With at least special relativity thrown in somewhere, along with lab courses, and specialized courses dependent on the student's interests (e.g., solid-state, nuclear, or astro). Even theoretical physicists need some exposure to labs.

Well, He would have to take the actual physics courses, of course. I tried to say that, for example, he already has the basis to jump directly into intermediate mechanics and intro thermodynamics. Compared to my own education and the physics curriculums I know and the other engineers I know that have transitioned to physics, I'd say he can skip 1.5 years or maybe even 2 years to complete his physics BS.

Likes oldmember

1. Can advanced physics concepts be effectively taught online?

Yes, advanced physics concepts can be effectively taught online. With the use of interactive simulations, virtual experiments, and multimedia resources, students can gain a deeper understanding of complex physics concepts. Online platforms also offer the flexibility for students to learn at their own pace and revisit materials as needed.

2. How can hands-on experiments be conducted in an online setting?

Hands-on experiments can be conducted in an online setting through the use of virtual labs and simulations. These tools allow students to manipulate variables and observe the results, just like in a traditional laboratory setting. Additionally, some online courses may also offer the option for students to complete hands-on experiments at home and submit their data for analysis.

3. Are there any limitations to learning advanced physics online?

While online learning offers many benefits, there are some limitations to learning advanced physics online. One limitation is the lack of face-to-face interaction with an instructor, which may make it more difficult for students to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. Additionally, some advanced physics concepts may be more challenging to grasp without the guidance of an in-person instructor.

4. Is it possible to receive the same quality of education in an online physics course as in a traditional classroom?

Yes, it is possible to receive the same quality of education in an online physics course as in a traditional classroom. Online courses are often taught by experienced instructors and follow the same curriculum as traditional courses. Additionally, online courses may offer additional resources and support to ensure students are receiving a high-quality education.

5. Can online physics courses prepare students for advanced studies in the field?

Yes, online physics courses can prepare students for advanced studies in the field. Many universities and colleges offer online physics courses that are equivalent to their traditional courses and are accepted for credit. Additionally, online courses often cover the same material and use the same textbooks as traditional courses, ensuring students are well-prepared for further studies in the field.