How do you plot a 3D vector in Mathematica 8?

In summary, to input a 3D vector in Mathematica 8, use the "Vector" command and specify the vector's components. To plot a 3D vector, use the "VectorPlot3D" command and customize the appearance using options. Labels can be added using the "Epilog" option and multiple vectors can be plotted using the "Show" command or directly input using the "Graphics3D" command.
globular
For example, how would I plot the fixed vector <3, 4, 3>?

I'm not sure if I'm using the correct language; I mean the vector with its tail at (0, 0, 0) and head at (3, 4, 3).Also, how would I plot the plane 11x + 19y + 39z = 88?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I input a 3D vector into Mathematica 8?

In Mathematica 8, you can input a 3D vector by using the "Vector" command and specifying the vector's components. For example, if your vector is (1,2,3), you would input it as Vector[{1,2,3}].

2. How do I plot a 3D vector in Mathematica 8?

To plot a 3D vector in Mathematica 8, you can use the "VectorPlot3D" command. This command takes in the vector field as well as the range of values for the x, y, and z axes. This will produce a 3D vector plot.

3. Can I change the appearance of the 3D vector plot in Mathematica 8?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the 3D vector plot in Mathematica 8 by using options in the "VectorPlot3D" command. For example, you can change the color, size, and style of the vectors.

4. How do I add labels to a 3D vector plot in Mathematica 8?

To add labels to a 3D vector plot in Mathematica 8, you can use the "Epilog" option in the "VectorPlot3D" command. This allows you to add text or other graphics to the plot.

5. Can I plot multiple 3D vectors in one plot in Mathematica 8?

Yes, you can plot multiple 3D vectors in one plot in Mathematica 8 by using the "Show" command. This allows you to combine multiple vector plots into one. You can also use the "Graphics3D" command to directly input multiple vectors and customize their appearance.