How do you read these vectors?

• Thread starter Lifprasir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses how to read vectors and specifically addresses the representation of vector C in terms of its rectangle components and its directional orientation. The conversation also mentions the use of unit vectors and provides an example of vector C being drawn in the 4th quadrant.
Lifprasir
How do you read these vectors??

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/dsadasdi.png/

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

For vector C, I was thinking that the - was simply a sign to denote the two different vectors, like , and vector D.

So, for vector C, it's rectangle component would be (25î,30j) and vector D would be (-25î,-30j)? Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org

What's the question?
for C
25i + 30j
the i represents a unit vector in the i direction (0,1)
the j represents a unit vector in the j direction (1,0)

so it becomes
25i + 30j = 25(1,0) + 30(0,1) = (25,0)+(0,30) = (25,30)

which means 25 in the positive x direction and 30 in the positive y direction or (25,30)

vector C can be drawn in the 4th quadrant, extending from the origin to the point (25,-30)

1. How do you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is determined by the angle it makes with the positive x-axis. This angle can be calculated using trigonometry, specifically the arctangent function.

2. What do the numbers in a vector represent?

The numbers in a vector represent the magnitude and direction of a quantity. The first number represents the magnitude, or size, of the vector and the remaining numbers represent the direction in which the vector is pointing.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first ensure that they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to get the resulting vector.

4. Can you multiply two vectors?

No, you cannot multiply two vectors together. However, you can perform a dot product or cross product on two vectors to get a scalar or vector result, respectively.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. Examples of vectors include force, velocity, and displacement, while examples of scalars include mass, temperature, and time.