Proving that ABE is a Straight Line: Vector Method

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram of a parallelogram ABCD with given vectors AB and AC, and coordinates for points B and E. The coordinates of point C are determined using vector methods. The conversation then continues to prove that ABE is a straight line using vector notation. Finally, the conversation concludes with finding a scalar constant k that satisfies AE = k * AB, thus proving that ABE is collinear.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

The diagram shows parallelogram ABCD. (you don't really need the diagram)

vector AB= (2 above, 7 below) and vector AC= (10 above, 11 below)

The point B has coordinates (5, 8)

(a) Work out the coordinates of the point C.

The point E has coordinates (63, 211)
(b) Use a vector method to prove that ABE is a straight line.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Work out the coordinates of the point C.

I did this:
vector AB= (2 above, 7 below)
So
5-2 = 3 and
8-7 = 1

So point A (3, 1)

vector AC= (10 above, 11 below)
So
10+3 = 13
11+ 1 = 12

The coordinates of the point C are (13, 12)

I did this:
The point E has coordinates (63, 211)
(b) Use a vector method to prove that ABE is a straight line.

I know I need to prove that ABE a collinear by proving that vector AE is a multiple of vector AB

vector AB= (2 above, 7 below)

2 x (63/2) = 63
7 x (63/2) = 220.5

I'm sure there's a better way? But how? Please help...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 19.32.56.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 19.32.56.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
(you don't really need the diagram)
But I'm a very visual person! Please use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to attach the diagram (in PDF or JPEG format) to your OP or as a reply. Thanks.

Natasha1 said:
I know I need to prove that ABE a collinear by proving that vector AE is a multiple of vector AB
Yes! So what is the vector AE? What is the vector AB? Can you express AE = k * AB, where k is some scalar constant?

DaveE said:
Yes! So what is the vector AE? What is the vector AB? Can you express AE = k * AB, where k is some scalar constant?

Well AE = 31.5 x AB

Is that it?

How do you find the vector from point A to point E?

I was hoping you might explain this...

I think you are confusing points with the vectors between points.
"The point E has coordinates (63, 211)". This could also be thought of as the vector from the origin (0,0) [let's call that point O] to E. So the vector OE = (63,211).
Point A is (3,1), so the vector OA = (3,1) [or (3 above, 1 below)]. Point B is (5, 8), so the vector OB = (5,8)
"vector AB= (2 above, 7 below)" This is AB = OB - OA, you could also think of this as point B - point A.
So, what is the vector AE then?

DaveE said:
I think you are confusing points with the vectors between points.
"The point E has coordinates (63, 211)". This could also be thought of as the vector from the origin (0,0) [let's call that point O] to E. So the vector OE = (63,211).
Point A is (3,1), so the vector OA = (3,1) [or (3 above, 1 below)]. Point B is (5, 8), so the vector OB = (5,8)
"vector AB= (2 above, 7 below)" This is AB = OB - OA, you could also think of this as point B - point A.
So, what is the vector AE then?

Is AB not BO + OA?

I get
AE = OE - OA
= (63, 211) - (3, 1)
= (60, 210)

How does this prove that ABE is a straight line?

Natasha1 said:
Is AB not BO + OA?
No. The vector notation AB means a vector that starts at point A and ends at point B. The vector sum BO + OA will give the vector BA, not AB. You may also think of this as going from B to O then from O to A which is that same as going from B to A.
Also note that the vector AB = -1*BA, so OA +BO = OA - OB = BA.

Natasha1 said:
I get
AE = OE - OA
= (63, 211) - (3, 1)
= (60, 210)

How does this prove that ABE is a straight line?
Yes, AE =(60,210) is correct. You also know that AB = (2,7).
As you said before "I need to prove that ABE a collinear by proving that vector AE is a multiple of vector AB".
So can you find a number k that satisfies AE = k*AB? This is the same as saying that AE is a multiple of AB.

Likes Natasha1
DaveE said:
Yes, AE =(60,210) is correct. You also know that AB = (2,7).
As you said before "I need to prove that ABE a collinear by proving that vector AE is a multiple of vector AB".
So can you find a number k that satisfies AE = k*AB? This is the same as saying that AE is a multiple of AB.
Ah yes yes yes!

AE = 30 x AB

Thanks so much DaveE. Super helpful... Much appreciated!

What is ABE and why is it important to prove that it is a straight line?

ABE refers to the three points A, B, and E that form a line in a given diagram. It is important to prove that ABE is a straight line because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and plays a crucial role in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What is the vector method and how does it help in proving that ABE is a straight line?

The vector method is a mathematical technique that involves representing geometric objects, such as lines and points, as vectors. By using this method, we can easily manipulate and analyze the properties of these objects, making it a useful tool in proving that ABE is a straight line.

What are the steps involved in using the vector method to prove that ABE is a straight line?

The steps involved in using the vector method to prove that ABE is a straight line are as follows:
1. Represent the points A, B, and E as position vectors.
2. Use the vector addition and subtraction properties to find the vector AB and BE.
3. Show that the vector AB and BE are collinear by using the scalar multiplication property.
4. Conclude that ABE is a straight line by the definition of collinearity.

Are there any alternative methods to prove that ABE is a straight line?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that ABE is a straight line, such as the slope-intercept form, coordinate geometry, and the distance formula. However, the vector method is often preferred due to its efficiency and simplicity.

Can the vector method be applied to prove the collinearity of more than three points?

Yes, the vector method can be extended to prove the collinearity of any number of points. The steps involved would be similar, but the calculations may become more complex as the number of points increases.