How Do You See Spectral Lines in Near IR from the Sun?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rp895
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ir Lines
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rp895
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Quick spectroscopy question: Say I am looking at the sun with a near IR /IR spectrometer? I know there is H2 and He in the sun, and I assume I will see their spectral lines? If true, how come I see that, and the signal is not drowned by the heat from the sun? (since it is so hot, using stefan-Boltzmann law, i can determine energy, etc etc)
Thanks
rp895
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The lines you will see are absorption lines (dark) from the cooler matter near the surface. The background spectrum is continuous and bright.