How Do You Solve 4^(x-1) = 1/32 Using Laws of Indices?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Indices Laws
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
MadmanMurray
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
1. Find value of x if:

4x-1 = 1/32



3. I know that both 4 and 1/32 can be expressed as powers of 2 so (22)x-1 = 2-5

Heres what I am not quite sure about
Im just assuming that I multiply that -1 by the power inside the brackets but I am not sure if that's right. Anyhow here's what i got
22x-2 = 2-5

I then eliminated the 2s so I am left with 2x-2 = -5.

doing that in my head I get x = -3/2

plugging that into the equation doesn't work unfortunately.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like it works. If x= -3/2 then 2x-2= -3-2= -5 so the left side is 2-5= 1/32, exactly like the right side.
 
If you were checking in the original equation...
[tex]4^{-\frac{3}{2}-1}=<br /> 4^{-\frac{5}{2}}=<br /> (2^{2})^{-\frac{5}{2}}=<br /> 2^{-5}=<br /> \frac{1}{32}[/tex]


01
 
Ah yeah I didn't see that it came out to 2^-5 in the end thanks. Was my method right? I think they take marks off u for taking roundabout methods.