How Do You Solve the Homogeneous Equation for ty''-(t+1)y'+y=0?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
[V]
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
[tex]ty''-(t+1)y'+y=t^2[/tex]

I know I have to use variation of parameters to solve this.
But I am stuck and cannot figure out how to get the homologous equation!
[tex]y''-(1+\frac{1}{t})y'+\frac{1}{t}*y=t[/tex]

I don't know how to solve this homologous equation in this format.

Is it R^2+(1+1/t)R+1/t = 0 ?
How would I get my two solutions from this?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[V];3246347 said:
[tex]ty''-(t+1)y'+y=t^2[/tex]

I know I have to use variation of parameters to solve this.
But I am stuck and cannot figure out how to get the homologous equation!
[tex]y''-(1+\frac{1}{t})y'+\frac{1}{t}*y=t[/tex]

I don't know how to solve this homologous equation in this format.

Is it R^2+(1+1/t)R+1/t = 0 ?
How would I get my two solutions from this?

Thanks!

Your homogeneous equation is

[tex]ty''-(t+1)y'+y=0[/tex]

This equation has a regular singular point at t = 0 suggesting you look for series solutions of the form

[tex]y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nt^{n+r}[/tex]