How do you tackle professors who only use slides?

• Thread starter huntflex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, some people prefer notes written on the board while others prefer slides, but what works best for each person is to print out the slides and go over them before the lecture. Some professors use powerpoints which can be difficult to follow, so it's helpful to be familiar with the material before the class.
huntflex
Hi everyone, (dont know if this is the right place to ask)

I was wondering if any of you had experience with professors who ONLY use slides, and rarely write on the blackboard. I myself find it quite difficult to note anything down when it is presented on a slide, and sometimes when I look at the slides after the lecture I haven't got a clue what it is about. I really prefer when they write on the blackboard, that way I can take notes and "follow" them in a way at the same time.

What is your experience with this? And more importantly how do you tacke it?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I happen to be the opposite. I prefer going over slides than hand-written notes. What works for me is printing out the slides, and going over each individual one until I've got it down. I don't move on to the next until I can understand it and write the contents of the slide on a sheet of paper or explain it out-loud to myself.

It's better to grasp a subject from let's say the first half of slides really well than to have glossed over them all and have a basic idea.

The slides are crappy if you can't follow them. A good slide is better than hand notes because you concentrate on the material instead of trying to make copies during the lecture.

Try some reading before the lecture. Take note what you think is important. Then listen to class and take note of what was discussed. Read again afterwards. This is basically what I do for all my classes: slides or board.

When I was in engineering school, overhead projectors were crappy and couldn't be seen well, and Power-Point was a distant dream. I would have had to change my note-taking severely if a prof was able to throw up slide after slide and just coast through them. Writing on a 'board at least let's the students watch how a problem is deconstructed and solved, and that is a BIG thing IMO. Good luck.

Do you get the slides in advance? If so, print them out and skim through in advance, then during lecture you can make notes directly on them of things the professor said to explain them.

Don't lead with your head. Grapple their waist and hold on until you've brought them to the ground.

DrummingAtom said:
Don't lead with your head. Grapple their waist and hold on until you've brought them to the ground.

Yeah, you'll get penalized for that. Also, you stated they might slide, so you want to make sure you stay low.

For real, though, like other stated: as tough as it is to find the time sometimes it helps if you can be somewhat familiar with the material (or preferably with the slides) before the lecture.

DrummingAtom said:

Lol! Something like that came to mind when I read the thread title, but I couldn't think of a witty enough retort.

I actually use a lot of powerpoints for my lectures, but it's not the media that's the problem, rather how it's used. A lot of other lecturers put up slide after slide with walls of text on them, or entire diagrams with loads of labels, and it's hard for a student to figure out where to focus, or where to begin. I prefer using the animations to bring in words or labels one at a time so it's easier to follow (plain old "appear"...another annoying thing I see are lectures where things are flying in or flashing and dissolving, and the motion is distracting from reading).

huntflex said:
Hi everyone, (dont know if this is the right place to ask)

I was wondering if any of you had experience with professors who ONLY use slides, and rarely write on the blackboard. I myself find it quite difficult to note anything down when it is presented on a slide, and sometimes when I look at the slides after the lecture I haven't got a clue what it is about. I really prefer when they write on the blackboard, that way I can take notes and "follow" them in a way at the same time.

What is your experience with this? And more importantly how do you tacke it?

Thanks in advance

You could try this approach...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your replies! I'll try to print Them in advance, seems like a really good idea.

For those who gave me tips on how to TACKLE the professors, that really made my day lol :D

1. How do you approach a professor who only uses slides in their lectures?

As a scientist, it is important to approach the situation with professionalism and respect. Start by reaching out to the professor through email or during office hours to express your concerns. Be sure to explain your reasons for wanting more interactive lectures and offer potential solutions, such as incorporating discussions or activities into the slides.

2. Is it appropriate to ask a professor to change their teaching style?

It is completely appropriate to express your preferences and concerns to a professor. However, it is important to approach the conversation with an open mind and to understand that the professor may have valid reasons for using slides. It may also be helpful to gather support from other students who share the same concerns.

3. How can I engage with the material when the professor only lectures with slides?

There are still ways to actively engage with the material even if the professor primarily uses slides. Take notes, ask questions, and participate in discussions. You can also try to supplement the slides with additional resources, such as textbooks or online lectures.

4. What should I do if the professor refuses to change their teaching style?

If the professor is not open to changing their teaching style, it may be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or department chair. They can offer guidance and potentially mediate a conversation between you and the professor. It is important to remain respectful and professional throughout this process.

5. Are there any benefits to a professor only using slides in their lectures?

While it may not be the preferred teaching style for some students, there are benefits to using slides in lectures. Slides can help organize information and provide visual aids to reinforce key concepts. It can also make it easier to review material outside of class. However, it is important for the professor to balance the use of slides with other interactive teaching methods to keep students engaged.