How Does a Gust of Wind Affect a Sailboat's Speed and Direction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jennifer001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Jennifer001
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a sailboat is traveling east at 5m/s. a sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration of .80m/s^2, 40 degree north of east. what are the boat's speed and direction 6 s later when the gust susides?

I am completely lost on this question.. i don't know how to approach this, can someone get me started?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Impulse is I = [tex]\Delta p[/tex] or change in momentum. I is also equal to force times t ( I = F [tex]\Delta t[/tex] )
Set the equations equal to each other then work out the x and y components.