How does a mini drill flexible shank work?

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drill Work
In summary, a mini drill flexible shank works by using an inner core made from flexible multi-strand wire cable, with a helix of steel wire wound around it, and a counter-wound helix of steel wire outside of that. This design allows for torque to be transmitted through tension in one of the helical layers, depending on the direction of rotation. While most of the patents for flexible shafts seem to be for surgical instruments, there may be one specifically for a drill extender. Unfortunately, the specific link could not be found.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
Help solve confusion on how the real mini drill flexible shank working mechanism
How is actually is a mini drill flexible shank working mechanism being able to deliver torque/energy/force so pliable ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an inner core made from flexible multi-strand wire cable.
Outside that is wound a helix of steel wire, and then a counter-wound helix of steel wire.
Depending on the direction of rotation, the torque is transmitted by tension in one of the helical layers.

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Which one of those patents apply to a drill extender? Most seem to be for surgical instruments...
I believed I had posted a link for a moto-tool flexible shaft instead.
Sorry, I can't find it again.

1. How does a mini drill flexible shank work?

A mini drill flexible shank works by using a flexible shaft to transmit rotary motion and torque from the drill's motor to the drill bit. The flexible shank is made up of a series of tightly wound wires that allow for bending and twisting, while still maintaining the transfer of power.

2. What are the benefits of using a mini drill flexible shank?

Using a mini drill flexible shank allows for increased maneuverability and access to tight or hard-to-reach spaces. It also reduces the strain on the user's wrist and hand, making it easier to operate the drill for longer periods of time.

3. Can a mini drill flexible shank be used with any type of drill?

Yes, a mini drill flexible shank can be used with most types of drills as long as the shank size matches the chuck size of the drill. It is important to check the compatibility before using the flexible shank with a specific drill.

4. How do I maintain and care for a mini drill flexible shank?

To maintain a mini drill flexible shank, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the shaft to prevent any buildup or damage. It is also important to avoid bending the shank too much or using excessive force, as this can cause the wires to break or damage the motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a mini drill flexible shank?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when using a mini drill flexible shank. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not exceed the recommended speed or torque for the shank. Additionally, always unplug the drill before changing or adjusting the flexible shank.