How Does Amplitude Influence the Oscillation Period of a Cantilever?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
singh246
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1) Does the amplitude of a cantilever affect the time period of each oscillation when the experiment is set up like http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_430.html

2) Please explain your answer.

3) The equation I am using is T= 2pi* sqrt ((4ML^3)/(Ebd^3)). Now this equation works out the time period of the vibrations, but if the time period is changing what does this equation work out?

4) I am planning to set up the experiment as shown in the link, but how would I set the cantilever into motion in order to make the formula work. Do I just let the mass at the end of the cantilever drop?

Any extra information is much appreciated. Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

singh246 said:
3) The equation I am using is T= 2pi* sqrt ((4ML^3)/(Ebd^3)). Now this equation works out the time period of the vibrations, but if the time period is changing what does this equation work out?

Hi singh246! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Don't do it long enough for the time period to change! :smile:
4) I am planning to set up the experiment as shown in the link, but how would I set the cantilever into motion in order to make the formula work. Do I just let the mass at the end of the cantilever drop?

Just sellotape it on, and then, as the link says, "twang" it!. :smile:

(Twang it different amounts to get different amplitudes.)

It's not rocket science …

no special twanging training needed! :biggrin:​