How Does an Antiproton Accelerate in Combined Electric and Magnetic Fields?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 17K views
ursulan
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An antiproton (same properties as a proton except that q=-e) is moving in the combined electric and magnetic fields of the figure

The antiproton is moving to the right with a velocity of 500m/s the magnetic field B=2.5T is coming into the page and E=1000V/m downward.

What is the magnitude of the antiproton's acceleration at this instant?

Homework Equations



F=ma, F=qvB

The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is 2.4x10^10m/s^2. I bascially went ma=qvB which didn't work. I'm not sure why it shows E.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ursulan said:

Homework Statement


An antiproton (same properties as a proton except that q=-e) is moving in the combined electric and magnetic fields of the figure

The antiproton is moving to the right with a velocity of 500m/s the magnetic field B=2.5T is coming into the page and E=1000V/m downward.

What is the magnitude of the antiproton's acceleration at this instant?

Homework Equations



F=ma, F=qvB

The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is 2.4x10^10m/s^2. I bascially went ma=qvB which didn't work. I'm not sure why it shows E.

Maybe this will help?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html#c2