How does erythropoietin stimulate red blood cell production?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Physiology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Asmaa Mohammad
Messages
182
Reaction score
7
Hi,

I don't actually get the function of erythropoitin hormone in erythropoiesis, what is written in my textbook is that erythropoietin accelerates all steps of erythropoiesis as it stimulates mRNA synthysis, and also, it shortens the maturation time of RBCs in the bone marrow.

I would like a simple explanation on the basis of medical physiology.

Thanks in advance!
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Erythropoietin is released from cells in the kidney when they sense low oxygen.
Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production, thus correcting a possible cause of low blood oxygen by triggering the making of more red blood cells.

It has also been used by athletes to gain an advantage in races etc.
 
Hmm, sorry but still I don't understand the part of mRNA synthysis and short maturation period in the main passage I wrote in #1. Could you explain it for me, please?