How does eyes encodes information to be sent to brain?

In summary: It's a fantastically complex topic. I can't say too much other than:1) the eye is not a ccd: it is not one nerve/rod (or cone).2) the retina is part of the brain and performs optical processing 'on-site' (edge enhancement, movement detection and local averaging, for example).3) information from your eye is used to detect and recognize shapes, edges, lines, and patterns.
reckon
Is there anyone who knows on how's the information being transferred from eyes to brain? I'm not asking about how a single optical nerve works here, but how does these nerves arranged so that they can convey a 'live video' from eyes to brain. Is it a matrix of optic nerves with a single nerve assigned for a particular x,y coordinate? or how?

Anyone could give me a clue about this?

*sorry if my english is bad or not being clear enough

Biology news on Phys.org
This is a fantastically complex topic. I can't say too much other than:

1) the eye is not a ccd: it is not one nerve/rod (or cone).
2) the retina is part of the brain and performs optical processing 'on-site' (edge enhancement, movement detection and local averaging, for example).

My neuroscience book (Kandel et. al) has some information, but I don't have a proper text on vision.

reckon said:
Is there anyone who knows on how's the information being transferred from eyes to brain? I'm not asking about how a single optical nerve works here, but how does these nerves arranged so that they can convey a 'live video' from eyes to brain. Is it a matrix of optic nerves with a single nerve assigned for a particular x,y coordinate? or how?

Anyone could give me a clue about this?

*sorry if my english is bad or not being clear enough

Our eye is designed so that the lens of your eye projects a real image onto your retina. Check this picture for help: http://webvision.umh.es/webvision/imageswv/Sagschem.jpeg

Imagine that your retina is divided into squares about 1 micron in length. Imagine that it's composed of 90 million squares. A rod is located in each square and detects light that hits that square. When light is detected, a signal is sent from your photoreceptor cells which is processed by horizontal, bipolar, and amacrine cells and sent to retinal ganglion cells in your optic nerve. Information from your eye is used to detect and recognize shapes, edges, lines, and patterns. The most caudal region of our brain is dedicated to making sense of the visual information encoded by our eyes and optic nerve.

To oversimplify it, your retina is made up of 90 million pixels that transmit a signal when the pixel detects light.

This is my area of specialty. Sadly, the short answer is: no one knows ;)

For the long answer on how the brain processes visual information... search for review articles on "visual object recognition"

For retina specific work, look up papers on retinal coding

Vision is really an incredible concept. It's amazing how the brain combines the images of both the eyes into one complete view and how it makes sure that everything is the right-side up (among other things).

I've seen a picture of what the image on the retina 'really' looks like- it is horrendously aberrated, as I recall. I can't seem to find a similar picture online- anyone seen something similar?

1. How do eyes capture visual information?

The eyes have a complex structure that allows them to capture visual information. The cornea and lens focus light onto the retina, where photoreceptor cells called rods and cones convert the light into electrical signals.

2. How does the brain receive and interpret visual information?

After the photoreceptors in the retina convert light into electrical signals, these signals are sent to the brain through the optic nerve. The brain then interprets these signals and creates a visual perception based on the information received.

3. How does the brain differentiate between colors?

The cones in the retina are responsible for color vision. These cones contain different types of photopigments that respond to different wavelengths of light, allowing us to perceive different colors. The brain then processes this information to differentiate between colors.

4. How does the brain process depth and distance?

The brain processes depth and distance by using visual cues such as binocular disparity (the difference between the images received by each eye) and motion parallax (the change in position of objects relative to each other). These cues help the brain determine the distance and depth of objects in our visual field.

5. How does the brain interpret visual illusions?

Visual illusions occur when the brain misinterprets visual information received from the eyes. This can happen due to factors such as contrast, color, and motion. The brain uses its past experiences and knowledge to make assumptions about what we see, which can sometimes lead to misinterpretations.