• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How does Hodgkin's lymphoma affect the lymphatic system?

Homework Statement

How does Hodgkin's lymphoma effect the "normal" function of the lymphatic system?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

After research I have found out that HL casues lymph nodes to become inflames. I have concluded HL causes lymph fluid to get blocked at lymph nodes as well as making you be more vulnerable to infections.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

How does Hodgkin's lymphoma effect the "normal" function of the lymphatic system?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

After research I have found out that HL casues lymph nodes to become inflames. I have concluded HL causes lymph fluid to get blocked at lymph nodes as well as making you be more vulnerable to infections.
What else happens? Is this a cancer? What does that mean? What are the typical treatments (and why?), and what is the prognosis for the different stages of this if it is a cancer?

What else happens? Is this a cancer? What does that mean? What are the typical treatments (and why?), and what is the prognosis for the different stages of this if it is a cancer?
There are two types Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and hodgkin's lymphoma. Hodgkin's lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, B-lymphocytes (B-cells) replicate uncontrollably. Hodgkin's lymphoma can cause lymph nodes to become inflamed, however they are not painful. There are various treatments which are used at different stages, if the cancer is located in one area radiation theropy is used, however if located in mutiple places chemnotheropy is used.

Last edited: